That's what this morning's run was like. As soon as I stepped out the door I knew it was going to be awful. I felt terrible pretty much the entire time. The weird thing is that, despite not really paying attention to my pace, my times were still pretty fast (for me). I felt like I was dragging the entire time, so it was quite strange for me to see the times that were popping up on my Forerunner after each mile.
Which started to make me wonder... how important is pace on these midweek runs? "the plan" says that midweek runs should be at a "comparatively easy pace". what the hell does that mean? hmmmph. I know what my "long run pace" and "marathon pace" is, but this "comparatively easy" bit seems kind of ambiguous to me. "Easy" for 4 miles is a lot different then "easy" for 20, so I'm not quite sure what to think. I suppose I could call them, but Mo and Katy, if you're out there (and anyone else who may read this...) do you guys pay attention to how fast you're running on easy midweek runs? Do you try to aim for a certain time range, or do you just do what feels comfortable? Somedays comfortable is really fast... should I force myself to slow down? I'm probably overthinking this, huh? you'll probably say, "just go run, don't worry about pace."
It was sunny and muggy when I got up and then as I left for work and started traveling toward A2, the sky started getting gloomier and gloomier every mile that I got closer. I am quite certain this is because God wants to punish all the stupid art fair people in this city by making it rain today (or at least I hope). I hate art fair. ugh. anyways, rant over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I don't generally pay that much attention to the pace I am running while I'm running. Mostly because I don't have a Forerunner and I don't know where the mile markers are. I always figure out what my average pace was at the end of the run though. I have a hard time pacing myself on "easy" runs because I always do them alone and end up running too fast.
Question: How long should I use the elliptical machine to make it worth my while? I decided I need to do some cross training because my IT band has been giving me a lot of trouble in my knee. Doing 7 miles of trails tonight probably wasn't a good idea:) Last night at the gym I jumped on the elliptical for 15 minutes just to test it out, but that's probably not enough time.
I almost always end up running too fast when I run by myself too. I don't know if that means I should be trying to up the pace on all my runs or not...
anyways, about the elliptical. Hal Higdon says, "Cross-training for 30-60 minutes will help you recover after your Sunday long runs." I usually aim for 45 on "cross-training" days, and I always crank up the resistance. But that's just me. I rarely do 60 because it's really really boring. On days like today, when it's not really a "cross-training" day and I just want to get rid of some of the stiffness I'll do 20-30 minutes with light resistance, just to get the legs moving.
I asked theroommate and she said she usually does about 30 minutes to make it seem worthwhile. Generally, if I feel like I'm working hard for 30+ minutes and I've got the sweat thing going, I'll consider it a pretty good workout.
Post a Comment