So the last few days have been fairly interesting. Friday I didn't run because I was working on a paper after work and didn't get home until super late. My professor doesn't make papers due until midnight on Friday, which means I generally don't even start them until 5:00 pm on Friday evening. I crashed as soon as I got home because I was supposed to be up early on Saturday to go tailgate for the big game.
Saturday comes, I get up and get ready. Momo arrives at my place and we pack up the redneck cooler so that it's full of frosty beverages. The Miller High Life, as of Saturday, is gone from our fridge, thank God. We head down to Ann Arbor to meet up with a friend of ours from undergrad and some of her friends. We end up walking ALL OVER CAMPUS for like an hour and a half before we finally find the girl whose car we're tailgating at. Good cross training, right? Unfortunately, by then it's like 11:00, and with the game starting at 1 Momo and I have to leave quickly to make it back to the bar where we were going to watch the game. The short time span gives us just enough time to shotgun a couple of beers (the Champagne of Beers included). I am particularly good at shotgunning beer. It's a skill that I picked up from my roommate MplsJu in undergrad. :) There was also a fifth of Southern Comfort (wrapped in a brown paper bag for classy affect) involved as well, but that was mostly for the gentlemen who were with us... I just had a dainty sip.
Anyways... Momo and I grabbed cookies, cake, a burger and some beer and then headed back toward central campus, where we were going to watch the game at the infamous Scorekeeper's (s'keepers for short). On the way, we encounter an absolute MOB of students headed toward the stadium. It was awesome. As we are stumbling up the street toward s'keepers, we encounter a few friends from high school, who also went to Michigan. We stop to chat with them for a while and I feel the need to rant to one of them about how the-ex and I broke up (because the-ex went to high school with all of us). Evidently beer makes me take about 8,000 steps backward in the "not caring about the breakup" department. Momo and I continue on the s'keepers, where we find a mostly empty bar, that quickly fills up once the game gets going.
Unfortunately, one of the few men there at the start of the game was some old guy who decided not to leave us alone the rest of the game. Now, all you old men out there, don't take offense to that comment. I find nothing wrong with enjoying a good football game with a chronologically diverse crowd. Do you know what bothers me? Creepy old men who proceed to stroke my hair and tell me how nice it is. ew. gross.
Nachos pass by us, and I mention to Momo that they look good and that we should steal them. Within 3 minutes, Momo has done something to make the male owners of said nachos begin to offer them to us. I like being a girl. I am suddenly being handed nachos. Sweet. Male-nacho-owners are our friends for the rest of the game, high fiving us on good plays, etc. It's a pretty good time until the end of the 4th quarter.
At one point, a group of OSU girls starts doing the stupid "O-H-I-O" cheer. It infuriates me that a group of 6 OSU girls can walk into a bar in the heart of UM and start a cheer and no one slaughters them. I attempt to start the "It's great... To be.. A Michigan Wolverine" chant (my personal favorite) and the people at the table next to me look at me like I'm crazy, even though they are wearing UM shirts. I am completely, stone cold sober at this time, but I just cannot help but look at them in disgust. I ask them, "are you going to let these little OSU girls cheer right next to you and not do anything about it?" They stare blankly at me. I am furious! I yell at the UM t-shirt wearing people, "did you people even f***ing GO to Michigan?" Again, blank stares. Stupid posers. Go away, so we can make room for some real fans. I miss the old days. Two years ago when we watched the OSU game in the EXACT SAME BAR, the entire place would erupt anytime I or one of my roommates even uttered, "It's great..."
the beer girls at s'keepers are giving out lots of free stuff, and I must be cute or something because they gave me one of almost everything they were handing out. I got a keychain (doubles as a bottle opener), some mardi-gras style beads, a hat, a t-shirt, and some mini footballs (at a different bar). I guess it made up for the fact that we lost, which pretty much just sucks. Especially since then I had to mentally change who I was rooting for in the Penn State v. MSU game. We can't have OSU winning the Big Ten outright, now, can we? So it was Penn State all the way as of 4:30 Saturday. Thank God they won.
You know, I really like football, and I especially love Michigan football, but I don't let it ruin my week if we lose. Saturday I was pretty bummed, but whatever. It's not worth being in a crappy mood for the entire week, like some people I know do (cough *the-ex* cough).
I was way excited about the prospect of My Other Team (the Cincinnati Bangals) picking off the goddamn Colts yesterday, but alas... that didn't happen either. SOMEONE HAS TO BEAT THE COLTS. DO YOU HEAR ME? I DON'T CARE WHO IT IS (even if it's the Packers, who I also hate) SOMEONE JUST NEEDS TO BEAT THEM. That will be a good day, and I will look forward to it the rest of the NFL season. So help me God, if I have to watch an undefeated Colts team march into D-town in a few months and win the superbowl, I'm going to freak out. I may have to take a crowbar to Payton Manning's kneecaps to keep them from winning, Tonya Harding style. Just kidding, folks, I'm really not a violent person.
Buckeyerunner... your Steelers are up against the Colts next, I believe. I will join forces with you to cheer on your team...
Yesterday I did a nice trail run through horse-poop covered trails because it was so nice out. Do any of you other people ever go walking through the grocery store after a run with your running tights/other questionable running apparel on? Because people were giving me really weird stares.
And just in case you were wondering, Basha hummus is still the best stuff on earth. I ate an entire container of the garlic flavored stuff for dinner yesterday.
I'm spending the next two days at my 'rents place, since I took the days off. so I may go completely insane. But theroommate and I have PISTONS tickets on Wednesday night!!!!! Like, 7th row tickets. Even THEY lost on Saturday. grrr... But Ben Wallace is dreamy. DEEEEEEEEEETROIT BASKETBALLLLLLLLLL!
Regardless of the loss... GO BLUE! It's still great... to be... a Michigan Wolverine!
Monday, November 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Sorry Mouse I lost my passion for football at some point when I was a teenager and discovered drugs. My UW Huskies lost to the WSU Cougars this week, which is my sisters team, but unfortunately I just don't care. I know I should. I will try to show more Husky pride once I graduate and I will start the whole rivalry thing with my sister who went to watch the game at a local bar, but I was at Fleet Feet working. I know. How can I call myself a true man if I do not love football?
Oh no, not Scorekeepers! I always have a bad experience there (more of the repeatedly-getting-elbowed-in-the-head rather than getting-my-hair stroked variety).
That sucks that people wouldn't cheer along with you. That is one of my favorite cheers too.
Have fun at the Pistons game. Say hi to Tayshaun for me.
And you are right it is still great to be a Michigan Wolverine.
I have frequently gone shopping after runs in my running gear, and I usually try to wear mismatched running outfits which makes it particularly fun!
I think it is funny when people stare.
I didn't get to watch the game because I was working. But was dissapointed also. Oh well, next year!
Thanks for the shoutout, girly!! I feel honored, like I'm famous or something. And I cannot BELIEVE other Michigan fans - alums or not - wouldn't "protect their house" when that stupid, stupid, stupid O-H-N-O cheer began (please, who CAN'T spell Ohio?) - I don't care what cheer it is, but the visitors must be quieted!! Were you there when Notre Dame came into town...maybe two years ago? The year we beat them 38-0...god that was awesome. And the best part is how obnoxious the domers were up until the football game actually started and they had their asses handed to them. HA! Good times, good times...
I'm with you Mouse - let's stomp those Colts!
Post a Comment