I have a feeling this plan is either going to whip me into shape very quickly or it's going to tire me out to the point where I'm useless. My base milage going into it was high enough that I think I should be fine, but it calls for increasing intensity on about half the workouts, and the intensity of my running for the past few months has been... well, not so intense.
anyways, I did 6 last night, with a nice easy mile and then 40 minutes of fartleks, and then a nice easy mile to cool down. 2 minute intervals were suggested, so I ended up alternating fast and slow just about each quarter mile. It really wore me out, and by the end I had to take a longer slow segment to recover, but otherwise it was a great workout. Several times throughout the workout I started thinking, "why the hell am I doing this to myself?" and then I'd realize that the workout I was doing wasn't really all that hard. really just the equivalent of 8 quarter intervals. In high school we used to do 10 quarter intervals just about every week, even at the beginning of the season. And let's not even talk about cross country (a multitude of sets of half-quarter-quarter, anyone?).
So I've officially decided that I'm being a sissy, and that I just need to suck it up and stick to it for a few weeks and things should get a little better. It's not like I didn't feel like I was capable of doing the workout, it's just not something that I exactly consider "fun". In other words, I need to stop whining, because people don't get faster by going on leisurely strolls.
It felt good to be back on a "plan," though, and to feel like I was working toward a goal other than maintaining fitness. Not that that's not a perfectly acceptable goal, but I always end up feeling that I can "maintain fitness" by drinking beer and watching t.v. I work better when I'm following a structured plan.
On a totally unrelated note, my sister and I kissed and made up (not literally, sickos) and I told her as long as it's not totally an inconvenience I wouldn't mind if she came up to use the fitness center during the off hours sometimes when I'm doing a workout. The one rule: the rugrat stays IN the PLAYROOM. no exceptions. I don't really have to worry about that, though, because she's dabbled in bodybuilding for a while and knows how easy it is to hurt oneself using free weights or weight machines.
Tuesday nights will be my cross training nights, since I have class until 7, so it's going to be an easy evening tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yay for midday updates when I need a break!
Glad you and your sis are getting along better. Have you ever thought of trying to con her into running a shorter race with you, like the Superbowl 5k?
I know, ju. my schedule usually consists of a) complete task, b) check blogs, c) repeat.
I try to avoid working out with her, because she tends to try to make things a competition. Whenever I talk about running, she'll brag to me about how she ran a 3 mile workout in 21 minutes (which is superfast) but then if we go out running together, she'll be lagging behind me when I'm going at an easy pace and she'll make excuses about how her asthma is bothering her, etc. We have different fitness goals (hers is to be skinny, mine is to run better) so I try to stay away from situations where she can compare workouts with me, because it's like comparing apples and oranges, you know?
Great job on the 6, you'll be back in super training mode before you know it.
Post a Comment