Saturday, May 20, 2006

running a marathon as training for a marathon?

I swear, I'll stop being such a posting whore. right after this post...

anyone have any thoughts on running a marathon as a training run for a marathon? there's a trail marathon 6 weeks before Detroit, and it looks like it would be really fun, but I don't want to compromise Detroit either. obviously, I would aim to do this as an easier run and not in full out racing mode. especially since it's on trails. any thoughts on adjusting my training schedule to fit this in? Is this a terrible idea? Can I replace one of my 20+ milers with this and throw in an extra easier, recovery week and be ok? I'm far enough out that I can adjust my plan as necessary, so I'd appreciate the feedback.

7 comments:

E-Speed said...

Go for it trails are so much easier on your bod and 6 weeks should be enough recovery time!

E-Speed said...

ps where is it and whats the date? Maybe I could do it too!

Rae said...

I think you would be just fine! As long as you took it easy and it wasn't one of the insanely difficult trail M's (like Pike's Peak or something). Of course I am also planning on being a marathon whore this fall, so I am biased!

Anonymous said...

As long as you're able to take it easy during the trail marathon, I'd say it's fine. My problem has always been once I get to the start line, my brain shorts out and I forget that I'm not trying to PR.

BuckeyeRunner said...

Sounds good - it's a trail, so it will be WAY easier on your body. And, you could walk the last 10k if you absolutely have to!

Garou said...

Sure, it's six weeks ahead of your other race, so you would have lots of recovery time.

And yeah, I'd like to know where & when it is as well.

onepinkfuzzy said...

do it! you have time, plus it's on trails. go for it!

 
Site Meter