I'm sitting here at my dad's house. eating cookies for breakfast (because that's allowed when you're on vacation, as I am). it's absurdly early for me to be up, considering that I'm on vacation (did I mention that already? oh, I did) but I had a dentist appointment this morning at 8 effing a.m. in my hometown (an hour away from my current apartment). I have an eye appointment this afternoon and then I am hitting the road, being sure to avoid I-94 because a friend of mine who works for MDOT says it's a disaster near Jackson. He also tells me that he doesn't appreciate only getting calls from me when I need something (usually traffic updates). I am a millisecond away from telling him that if perhaps he didn't hit on me everytime I talked to him, maybe I would call him more often. I decide not to comment on this because traffic updates are valuable to me (our roads suck). I was hoping to arrive at the cottage with just enough time to get my 10 miler in this evening, but I don't think that's going to happen. I'll probably need to push it back to tomorrow. i'm going to be all by my lonesome tonight and tomorrow anyways, so that will help fill the time. besides the making beds for everyone. stocking the kitchen. getting the towels out. making sure there is toilet paper. making sure there aren't spiders in everyone's beds (usually there are). doing the stuff the mom usually does.
so Tuesday's run actually ended up being done outside. Although the weather forecast said scattered storms, the sky was actually partially blue so I headed outside for the run. 7 miles in 9.09/mile pace, a quick bathroom break and then a mile that included 10 100 meter strides and some jogging between for 8 total. Overall it was a pretty good run, but I was feeling kind of blah in the middle two miles or so. Could have been because I ate dinner about an hour before heading out because I got home late after work.
yesterday I got up and did some yoga, which felt unbelievably good (I haven't been stretching much lately) and then after work I headed to the pool to get some laps in. I got just less than a half mile in before I got too irritated to continue any longer. there were so many people at the pool. and no one was going the correct speed for the lane they were in. I usually go in the slow/medium or medium lanes. Well, the slow/medium lane had some really slow people in it so I jumped into the medium lane, which had two other people already swimming in it. One guy was fast, and within 1 lap ran into me (I let him go ahead of me) and the other guy was going so slow that no matter how much of a head start I gave him I was always on his heels. it was really frustrating because he wouldn't just let me go ahead of him either (he'd take off before I got the chance to ask him if I could pass), so I'd have to wait at the end of each lap for him to get a head start. it really threw me off having to stop at the end of each lap. I noticed a little bit into my swim that the fast guy in our lane had moved over to the medium/fast lane, and was on all the people in that lane's heels the whole time too, so I didn't feel bad about him running into me once.
I had the most surreal moment last night. I was writing a list of things I still needed to pack from my dad's place (he always forgets stuff) and I was going down the list...
- bag of sunscreens for everyone
- extra pillows
- camera
- video cam
- don't forget mom's ashes!
and then I stopped and thought about that. how. freaking. weird. you know? should be an interesting trip...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Cookies before your dental appointment? You're making that dentist earn his money :-)
I never understood guys blatantly hitting on girls. When I was single, I was sooooo afraid of rejection; I was probably way too subtle when it came to talking to girls.
Michigan road do suck! Sadly, I travel them way too often on my trips back home.
Good luck with the long run, and with the weekend in general. I'm sure it won't be easy. I'll be thinking of you.
hope your vacation can be enjoyable...mmm a cottage...
Cookies on vacation?! I would go for something more worth my while like chocolate fudge. Poor dentist.
Running, swimming, yoga... what don't you do?? Did I tell you I miss I-94? Good luck on your long run on vacation.
You are off to a great start. I had a really awesome homemade brownie for breakfast yesterday, so I can judge you about the cookies.
Have a great vacation!!
Have a great vacation Mouse. I hope everything goes well. Enjoy the R&R for the rest of us. :)
My mom always had a theory that you should eat dessert first thing in the morning because then you have the rest of the day to burn it off! Have a great vacation.
Post a Comment