this has nothing to do with running and everything to do with my personal life. and it will be long. so if you don't like general girly bitching about stupid shit, stop reading and move along.
i'm not gonna lie - there are often times when I tend to get highly irritable. sometimes it's toward people, whether it's toward my family or my friends or my boyfriend, and sometimes it's just the result of a set of circumstances. my ex used to call me "[his] little malcontent". said irritability always tends to come for a reason, and it bugs the shit out of me until I can pinpoint the cause. and I have this thing where I don't really like discussing it until I really get to the root of what's bothering me. all of this is relevant, I swear it is.
last week, I was highly irritable. toward him. and I didn't get why at first so I was generally irritable and grumpy and difficult to deal with for a few days and then once I thought about it for a while everything became clearer to me and I was finally able to figure out what was really bothering me. unfortunately it was a case of the most terrible timing ever because he was away with friends for the weekend.
I knew that my irritability was unsettling for him, so I sent him a text message on Friday saying that everything was clearer to me. I summarized the issue as I saw it and suggested that we discuss it when he got home on Sunday, and told him to go have fun with his friends. he was having none of this "let's talk about it when you get home" stuff, and took some time away from his friends (and suggested that he would meet up with them later) on Friday evening to talk to me about what was bothering me. while this wasn't necessary, it really, really meant a lot to me, and speaks volumes toward what type of person he is, that my happiness (or lack thereof) is so important to him and affects him so greatly. we spoke about what was bothering me and we discussed how we could prevent this from happening in the future and he even took time to chat affectionately with me for a bit before I suggested that he should go back to his friends.
the whole conversation took approximately an hour and 15 minutes or so, he was probably away from the group for two hours total by the time he got directions and arrived to where they were are. and let's face it... how many of you people manage to resolve issues and make up in two hours? no, he didn't have to take time away from his friends to do it RIGHT THEN. but he did. and that's one of the amazing things about him.
evidently, his absence didn't bode well with a few of the boys. because I guess the 11 other guys there weren't amusing enough, and those two hours that my boyfriend stole away from the group (out of a three day long bachelor party, mind you) were CRUCIAL to their happiness and wellbeing. the FOUR HOURS of drinking time that they had with him once he arrived totally wasn't enough to satiate their desire to be with him, I guess. THAT'S HOW AWESOME HE IS, PEOPLE.
so now I am sure that I am known as the over-domineering, selfish girlfriend who can't let her boyfriend go out and have a good time with the guys without having to call and pester him. and let me tell you, I think this is AWESOME. see, I've spent the last 8 years being friends and getting along with my boyfriends' friends. hell, I keep in touch with and visit my ex's friends more frequently than he does. but if I had only known how much fun it is to be known as the total frigid bitch... man. NOW I KNOW WHAT I WAS MISSING OUT ON!
my issue falls not with the group, but with a certain individual or two who seemed to be rather... critical of josh's decision to take time away to talk with me. I won't speak about this individual's relationship with their own overly-domineering wife, or anything, but let's just say that I didn't really think he had any right to speak on the subject. but I guess the real kicker came when said individual suggested that it is "impossible to fix things over the phone anyways, so there's no real point." hmm. interesting. evidently in his world the ability to verbally communicate in an effective manner is nonexistent and thus does not contribute to resolving issues. he must have some crazy sign language thing that he pulls out when he and his wife fight.
anyways, I found it kind of insulting that he would suggest that communication over the phone isn't a valid way of solving problems. because, to be honest, our relationship was built pretty much solely on telephone and IM conversations. I think that josh and I both happen to be extremely effective communicators (something that is a rarity in men) and respect and love each other enough to put the time and effort into making sure that we communicate with each other when we feel that issues are arising. it's what makes us work. and for him to just flippantly dismiss that? well, let's just say that said individual has landed squarely on my "list". for him to be telling us "how it is" with our relationship is insulting. it's rude. and it's intolerable, if you ask me.
I'm not that particularly bothered by the whole ordeal because as the OOSG said, who the fuck cares whether or not everyone likes me? and don't get me wrong - I respect and like almost all of Josh's friends. I think they are genuinely great people. but it's a shame that one individual can leave such a lasting impression. ["I hold grudges. it's what I do."]
so I guess my point of this really long post is to ask how others manage to get along with their spouse's/significant other's friends that they may not... well, really like at all. I don't want josh's friendship with this individual affected by my negative impression of him (although I will admit that I suggested that if we never see him and his wife again, I won't exactly complain). but I also feel that people don't automatically have a right of friendship - they have to earn my respect and show respect toward me to be considered a friend. this individual clearly hasn't mastered this art. how should I act toward this individual when I see him in the future? [or rather, how do I hide my distaste? :) ]
man, and I always thought that being the pain-in-the-ass, bitch of a girlfriend would be easy. MAN DID I UNDERESTIMATE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
some people just suck ;)
I've had similar experiences and have found that if it makes David happy for me to pleasantly tolerate the individuals that I really would rather never hang out with it keeps him on good terms with his friends and keeps me on good terms with him.
You don't have to love or even like all of Josh's friends but respect that he has some sort of connection with them. If Josh is anything like David he'll avoid making you hang out with said friends and when you do have to co-mingle he'll do his best to keep both parties happy.
I know that probably doesn't help much but I know you'll work through this and any other little problems that are thrown your way.
I, personally, wouldn't think twice about it. Because he has that overly domineering wife, he probably doesn't think that you can solve things over the phone. (Because they can't) And because he probably doesn't get much time away from said wife, he doesn't understand why anyone would give up their free time to work something out.
Don't let someone else's bad experiences ruin what a great thing you've got.
Now, not to be the devil's advocate here. But after dating/being married to a very sensitive, caring man for almost 6 years, I will say that in NO group of guy friends is it remotely cool for a girl in a bad mood to take a big chunk out of "guy time." It's not you at all. I think this is just sort of guy code, to give crap to a guy who does this. I absolutely agree with Josh, but I wouldn't expect anything less from his group of friends, because most guys in large packs would say the same thing. Also, it really helps when you get to know the group a lot better and they see you as a whole person, not just a girlfriend. I'm sure Brad's friends gave him a lot more shit back in the day, before they knew what an awesome chick I was, if he skipped out on them to hang out with me. So, I'm not saying it's right, but I do think it's fairly normal, and you should not be offended or think you're being viewed as a raging bitch.
Girl, who the FUCK cares about anyone else says! You have to comfortable with YOU because that's what matters in the end of the day. Enjoy what you have and embrace it.
I pretty much ignore those friends who I simply can't deal with. It's worked well so far. :)
You're fine, Josh is fine. The friends are fine. It's all a normal part of the male psyche as far as giving him shit for taking time out of THEIR good time to talk to you.
C'est la vie.
It's minor in the scheme of life, and there will be other battles in which we can launch a major offensive. Muuuuwwwwaaahhhahaaaaa.
I have to agree with Tough Cookie.....it's pretty much guy code. On top that, this guy was probably wasted and talking out of his ass.
I also have to agree with Firefly's Running. Who gives a fuck what this guy thinks about you. It's a waste of time to care about what someone who doesn't know you thinks.
Not much to add to the above statements, but my experiences are solely through the perspective of Dice's friends (when their significant other gets in the way of my friendship). As long as you respect his need to spend quality time with his friends once in a while and keep them involved in his life, you do not have to be included in those events or force yourself to like those friends. Just don't start calling him constantly when he is out with the group or picking fights because he is hanging out with them instead of you. That's when the friendships end. From my past experiences, that is very sad and unfortunate.
I think you handled the situation well. You needed to talk and took a small piece of this time, but you did not constantly monopolize his time throughout the weekend. Especially since you both felt much better after talking, you should feel good about how things turned out.
We've all been there.
Post a Comment