or, "why Mouse should plan to run at the crack of dawn for the rest of the summer." I don't know why I was thinking that the lakefront path, in the middle of the day, would be even remotely manageable. I used to get annoyed when there would be a handful of people on the path that I was running back in Michigan; that's why I retreated to trails where I would rarely see anyone for 6, 10 miles. here? THERE ARE PEOPLE 9 DEEP ACROSS THE PATH.
that in and of itself isn't the issue. it's nice to see all the people out running and biking. what's annoying is all the STUPID beach-goers who cluster onto the path and stop there to have a nice conversation while people who are actually exerting energy have to maneuver around them. and OH MY GOD... am I the only person in this city that looks behind to make sure someone's not coming before moving over to pass someone?
Once I got down past Navy Pier the run actually got pretty enjoyable because the crowds thinned out. AND! a man with a boat gave me a leering grin as I passed. but he was old and had a big beer gut, so I think that defeats the point.
Other than the general irritation with the gobs and gobs of people that were out, it was a pretty good first long run back. I came in a bit under 12, i'm pretty sure (i'm still getting used to where mile markers are from my apartment since my garmin is fairly useless) and pace was between 10:20-10:30 a mile. I'm calling it a victory with the random stops to let people pass, and the fact that i haven't run that far since... oh, december or something like that? and that falls within my desired long run pace (9:40-10:40/mile). so I'm happy. although I must have missed my shoulders when I was putting on sunblock, because they are nice and toasty. ugh.
this week should be interesting since Dice is coming to town. hooo-ray, I say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
With the zig-zagging you did around all of the stupid people, you can definitely say you did 12. Great job, and I can't wait to see you!
I equate the path with gobs of people to people standing in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store, chatting with people. Get out of the way already!!
I love your post title!
The north end of the path is generally impassable after 10AM, which i why I always suggest heading out before dawn. I see the families of overweight, clueless beachgoers blocking the path at North Avenue and I want to knock them down with my Mizunos.
Congrats on long run, in spite of the obstacles.
Have fun with the Dice man this weekend.
Welcome to Chicago running! There are trails out in the Forest Perserve that I hear are nice and easy to get to if you ever need to get away!
Also I love so you think you can dance!
Those that block runners on paths are just down right rude. I sometimes like to think that they are just jealous of us runners and our ability to get out there and do something... sometimes that makes me laugh inside..
Post a Comment