Tuesday, October 09, 2007

finding things out the hard way.

dice is mostly moved into his new apartment. His friend Cory made the drive up with him from Kansas City, which was great because I was pretty much miserable all weekend and would have made a really lousy traveling companion. I went to bed at like 8 something on Friday night and woke up the next morning at 7 something. When I called Dice I commented that it was "funny" because in the time I had been sleeping he had flown home, had dinner with his parents, packed a moving truck, slept for 4 hours, picked up his friend, and been on the road for 2+ hours. In other words, I'm pretty lazy. but that's allowed when snot is constantly running out of your nose.

So he drove into town while I spent the morning/afternoon watching football and wondering WHO SHOULD I WATCH?! It was almost too much to handle. On one channel, Kansas was upsetting Kansas State, on another Wisconsin was getting their asses handed to them by Illinois, and on the radio it sounded like Michigan State, who was playing Northwestern, was doing the traditional "roll over and play dead" thing they always do after their first loss. Am I going to feel bad about watching football while my boyfriend and his friend fought their way through city traffic? No, because he was home playing softball, tailgating, and drinking beer while I was doing the same in June.

I wandered down to help the boys unload once they reached Dice's apartment. holy hell was it hot out. good grief. all the stuff was unloaded within a few hours and Cory and I went into the nice air conditioning to start unpacking stuff while dice returned the truck. I got the kitchen unpacked and cory got the shelving for the tv and stereo unpacked before we figured out that plugging the coax cable into the tv did, in fact, produce a channel that was showing football and so from there on out we were fairly useless.

we headed back to my place that evening since not a whole lot was set up and we were hungry. I went to sleep shortly after grabbing food and the boys headed out to drink some beerz.

the next day was spent watching marathoners just about pass out in the heat, taking cory to the airport, and then finally unpacking the rest of dice's apartment for the majority of the afternoon/evening. he's finally pretty much set up and just has to make a quick trip to bed, bath, and beyond and to the grocery store, so after this weekend he should be golden. his place is quite a generously sized studio, I must say. It's pretty much perfect for the amount of stuff he has; if he had a place much bigger he'd "have to buy stuff to fill it up," as he said the other day.

Unfortunately, his bathroom sucks. it looks just fine. it's presentable, clean, and decent sized.

but then I actually stayed over last night and used it. The toilet wouldn't flush at first, and then once he fixed it with his handy tool kit, it randomly starts running at odd times. the shower head emits more of a mist than a steady stream of water, and the temperature of said stream doesn't rise above lukewarm. Oh, and I blew a fuse three times trying to blowdry my hair this morning, despite the fact that nothing else was plugged into the outlet and no other electronics were turned on (we even turned the lights in the apartment off - fuse still blew). OH! and the porcelain in the tub is cracked and chips away in giant pieces while you're showering.

We made the executive decision together this morning that I will not be staying over on week nights, only on weekends when I don't necessarily need to get ready, shower, blowdry my hair, etc.

on the upside, he has the nicest kitchen sink i've seen in a chicago apartment. and he has WAY more closet space than I do. it's totally not fair. and let's just face it, closet space just about trumps a crappy bathroom any day, so I've got to give my thumbs up in approval.

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Closet space is a total MUST! Where can one fit all of those clothes...and shoes?! :D

Josh Dysart said...

You were a ton of help unpacking, especially since you weren't feeling well at all. And I'm glad we both agreed on 'home base.' It was never really a dispute though.

 
Site Meter