Thursday, March 06, 2008

disordered tact.

I had an interesting encounter with a woman at work today. my boss and I were consulting with her on a project, we had also worked with her a few weeks ago. Today, boss casually mentioned something about how I was training for a marathon, and the woman blurted out something along the lines of, "YEAH! you look like you've lost weight since the last time we met."

wait for it...

wait for it...

and then...

"are you eating?"

am I eating? seriously? is that a real question?

I tend to not be overly sensitive about weighty issues because when you take a year hiatus from running (and really, exercise in general) and spend that year eating a lot of really great food with your boyfriend... well, I get that that means I'm going to gain some weight. I'm not stupid. So yes, I started cracking down on what I was eating when we started running again. We no longer eat take-out several nights a week, and there are no jars of candy hanging out around the house. The 6 pack of beer that was in my fridge before the New Year started is still there, in fact.

but to suggest I'm not eating is comical and, quite frankly, slightly offensive. I was pleasantly surprised to come home from almost a week of eating a lot of really good food with julie, not to mention pretty much all the alcohol one could imagine, and to see that some of my pants were actually looser. It's how my body reacts to RUNNING A LOT OF MILES IN A WEEK.

I guess i'm just frustrated that someone would suggest that, because it's pretty much not all that possible to NOT EAT when you're training for something. I don't know about you all, but my body lets me know if i'm not fueling it right. And, well, I kind of make it a point to make sure that I AM being healthy, so when someone just assumes that the results that I'm seeing from EATING HEALTHY FOODS AND EXERCISING are coming instead from just "not eating," well, it kind of irks me.

hrmph.

8 comments:

Rae said...

Was it that irritating woman who kept asking you what you were doing? Because she so needed her own life and friends.

GaryGinew said...

I think she's just jealous that when she goes home tonight and looks at herself in the mirror that she will realize that she is not as hot as you.

:)

MNFirefly said...

Oh...my...gawd! I can not believe how insensitive people are when one starts to make positive changes - running and eating healthy. It should be something good.

Alison said...

I can kinda see where she's coming from. A lot of people who don't like to exercise assume that the only reason you'd do it is to lose weight. (I love when people say to me, "why do you work out so much? You don't need to." Oh lord.)

Irish Cream said...

Hi Mouse! I've been creepily lurking for a while now . . . and I just wanted to turn myself in and let you know I really enjoy reading your blog! I know we are supposed to be bitter rivals (I graduated from Notre Dame), but I figured I'd invite you to check out my new running blog: http://doitirishcream.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the good reads! Keep up the great work!

Cheesehead Runner said...

Classic open your mouth without thinking about it comment. I feel your pain, sometimes people just can't understand that we're not training to lose weight, there are numerous other benefits such as pushing your own limits and pursuing goals.

Katie said...

Grrr, but at least you had enough tact not to say something along the lines of "well it certainly looks like YOU're eating enough for the both of us." that could've been bad.

p.s. DON'T YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE YOU WANT TO TELL YOUR ADORING FANS????

:-P

L*I*S*A said...

She's just jealous that when she peers down at the button holding her shit in, it's tight, NOT loose.

Keep on keepin' on. I think we all get those comments from time to time.

When I hear one, I say things like, "Oh yes, I eat. I had one M & M today. Whew, I'm full!"

Totally shuts 'em up.

 
Site Meter