Tuesday, July 15, 2008

easy peasy LT running

We did our second lactate threshold run last night. We used Mcmillan to calculate that for a 4 hour marathon, we'd need to be between 8:30 (15K) and 8:42 (half marathon) pace for our LT runs. Since I don't necessarily think we're in 4 hour marathon shape right now, we're aiming for the upper end of that range, so as long as we're at 8:42 for our miles, I'm a happy camper.

I was a little worried last night about my legs being a bit on the sore side, but after 2.5 miles of warming up I was feeling good and was ready to tackle these suckers. The run looked like this:

2.5 miles warm-up: noooo idea on pace

LT mile 1: 8:42
LT mile 2: 8:41
LT mile 3: 8:40
LT mile 4: 8:37

2.5 miles cool-down: again, no idea on pace

So yeah. we hit those pretty much spot on. The first mile actually felt easy, and then as we eased into it I felt like I was winded by the end of the last mile, but definitely could have continued on if, like, a bear were attacking me or something. The last two miles I was really having a hard time with my core muscles because we had done various bodyweight exercises out in the park on Sunday and I also had some residual soreness from that. (sidenote: a woman watching me crank out my push-ups gave me a "you go girl! I can't even do one!" that made me chuckle. It's nice to get random cheers from people who pass by.)

I'm pleased with how these are going, because hitting anywhere in our LT pace gets me really excited and pumped up about running. What doesn't pump me up? The fact that I keep forgetting that I really, really shouldn't drink a lot of sugary gatorade after a hard workout without getting some water in first. I drank a bottle of gatorade as soon as I got back last night and spent the entire evening with an upset stomach. SO UPSET was my stomach that I didn't even have a desire to eat any of the Ben and Jerry's that I had in the fridge. THAT'S HOW BAD IT WAS. so, yeah.

So that was Monday. Tonight we've got a recovery run. should be a piece o' cake.

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Nice splits, Mouse! Simply amazing!

L*I*S*A said...

You are kickin' some serious running butt, sister. Excellent work.

 
Site Meter