I got my 18 in on Saturday morning. I headed out to KMP even though the sky was covered with those rain threatening clouds. Sure enough, about 3 miles into my run it starts sprinkling and then totally downpouring. Some thunder and lightning set in around mile 7 but I was way out on the trail and there was absolutely no place for me to seek shelter so I just kept on going. It was either run under a bunch of trees or run in a big open field... hmm. The thunder/lightning combo stopped soon, though, and it continued raining through around mile 10. I stopped at my car and refilled, slathered on some more bodyglide in areas that I usually don't even worry about chafing in, and headed back out for my final 8. I didn't feel awful throughout this run like I did last weekend, but I still didn't feel like myself. Pace was around 9:40/mile. Not bad, but I would have liked to have felt a little better throughout the whole thing.
I took an ice bath when I got home. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. I think wearing a long sleeved shirt while I was in the tub helped a lot. Then I tried to nap for a few hours before we were planning to go out, but sleep was just not coming to me.
After spending an evening dodging sketchy men out at a club in AA and getting to bed after 3 (post-stopping at McDonalds for McFlurries and french fries on the way home!), I finally made it over to the fitness center yesterday to get my run in. I actually felt pretty good, so maybe the ice bath helped. I stopped my run short at 6 instead of getting the full 8 in because I didn't want to push it since I wasn't feeling totally back to full capacity on Saturday's run. I could have gotten the extra two in, but seriously, what would be the point? Better to let myself recover a bit more. I am trying to psych myself up for my 20 miler this weekend... it should be fun!
Oh, one more thing... even though the ice bath seemed to have worked, the extra bodyglide on Saturday didn't. I have wicked chafing ALL OVER MY BODY. oh, the pain! I didn't even notice it while I was running, but almost the entire wasteband of my shorts chafed my midriff. It made dodging the forementioned sketchy men (who kept putting their hands on my hips while trying to dance with me) much more painful. Thank goodness my mom gave me all the extra aquaphor she got while she was in radiation... that stuff is a godsend. And thank goodness theroommate is so good at saving people when they are stuck dancing with sketchy people. I would have been in trouble.
best line of the night, used on me 6 times (by the SAME person, no less):
"Where have you been all my life, beautiful?"
Ok, maybe I don't want guys my age thinking I'm attractive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Congrats on the stormy 18, Mouse!
I had a great run in that same rain. I didn't get any chafing though. While I was running I was wondering if you were out in the same mess or not.
And the ice bath is so very good for you. I like to take a magazine to read so I'm not just sitting there listening to the ice clink in the tub, although somehow that's kinda cool too.
Can you hear those sketchy guys talking in the corner of the club? "Hey, dig the hot babe with the chafing problem!" :D
Post a Comment