Sunday, November 13, 2005

By default, I have a new PR.

Ran the 10k at the Turkey Trot today. They offer a 5k, a 10k and the "Iron Turkey" (for those who want to run both). I had never done a 10k before, so it was hard to resist an instant PR. Also got to meet up with Jon and Jack, as well as Jack's Lovely Bride and dog. All were great people (except the dog, of course) and worth the trip over to meet!

So I headed over to the metropark where the race was to be held at about 8 this morning. I got there, registered and headed back to my car to put my chip and bib on by 9. They were very organized, which I was happy to see. The day was just gorgeous. In the 60's and sunny, but quite windy which brought a bit of a chill. I realized AFTER I pinned my bib onto my long sleeve shirt that I should just wear short sleeves, but I'm lazy and the stupid bib got wrapped around the coils in the pins that were securely fastening it to my long sleeve, so I just left it alone. I jogged about a mile to loosen up a bit and then headed over to the bathroom. For the first time ever, there was no line for the women's bathroom and a long line for the men's. I was amazed, until I realized the women's 5k had started, so any woman not running the 10k was off doing that at the time, and thus not in the restroom. And here I thought I was witnessing some shift in the universe or something.

Headed over to meet Jon and Jack. We chatted for a while, which was great because it kind of made me forget that I had to run a distance I'd never run before. When asked what my plan was as far a pacing went, I told them I had no idea. I just knew I wanted to be under my intended marathon pace (9:10). Seems like that should be easy enough for a 10k, right? But it seems like it's been soooooooo long since I actually ran that fast. I know, I get nervous about stupid things. Jon informed me that Mark and Aaron, the guys who founded the RBF, are from Canada. Because I am partially blonde, this totally confuses me. I could have sworn they were from Texas! Seriously, I have no idea why I thought that, though. hmph. You know, Canada, Texas... they're close, right? Yeah, sorry for mixing that up, guys.

Anyways, so on to the run. I am still without a plan at the start, but that's ok. The first mile comes in at 8:47, even with all the shuffling and crowdedness (did I mention that I hate crowdedness?). I decide this sounds like a good pace, and stick with it. Mile 2: 8:44. Not too bad. I feel good, and the crowds are starting to thin out. The course is a loop that you run twice, and has a few rolling hills, but nothing extraordinary. Mile 3: 8:44 again, and mile 4: 8:45. I am amazed at my unbelievable knack of being consistant, especially since I wasn't even really trying that hard. Mile 5 I picked it up a bit, 8:38. It was at the beginning of this mile that I was happy to have had the "drink-'n-run" experience that I've picked up in longer races. About 6 people around me stopped to grab the little cups of water and drink, but since I've mastered the art of grabbing a cup, squeezing the edges and guzzling the contents down while keeping pace, I managed to fly by all of them. I almost knocked one woman in the head with my cup though, so that was pretty funny. It was also during this mile that I picked off my nemesis... you know who I'm talking about. That person you've been running behind for what seems like forever, and who you know that if you just picked up your pace a little bit you could beat? Mine was a girl in a peach top, and I finally got her at the 5 mile mark. Mile 6 came in at 8:36, and then I'm not sure about the last .2 because I forgot to stop my watch. 54:17 was my overall time, for an 8:44 overall pace. I think I was something like 11th in my age group when I checked the results.

I stuck around to watch Jack run the 5k. I'll let him tell you about his race if he wants to. He had to deal with a gang of 8 year olds with "Impossible is Nothing" on the back of their shirts. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't run the 5k.

Overall it was a great race. Really well organized, good turnout, nice course, and you couldn't pick a more beautiful day. And now, I have a new PR to beat! The only race that was comparable was the Run thru Hell 8k that I ran a few years ago, where I ran just over 9 minute pace. I would so beat my 23 year old self if I could race against her!

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Congratulations on a great race! I get the feeling you surprised yourself out there. Well Done!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Darn blustery day for certain! I think if you spread your arms enough, you could fly to the finish.

Great race, Mouse! The instant PR is definately one to beat next year. Well, whenever that next 10K is anyway.

Glad to finally meet you in person.

Kurt in Boston said...

Mouse -- Congratulations on the PR! [I got a default PR today too at a distance I'd never raced before].

Super Awesome!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Nice race report. Sounds like a really fun one. Great job on your PR, you speed demon, you!

 
Site Meter