Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Indy Mini?

I'm a very goal oriented runner. If you leave me to go run how ever many miles I want to on my own, I probably won't run that many because I'll be lazy or find something else to do (exhibits A and B: the last two evenings). But, if I decide that I want to do a race I'm pretty good at sticking to a plan and doing the work that's involved. I need a goal race so that I can start planning. I'm thinking a half in the spring. I was originally thinking that maybe the Martian Half near me would be good. Then I was thinking, "who wants to run up and down Hines Drive?" Well, actually, that's not the real problem. The real problem is that it's at the beginning of April, which will be approaching finals time next semester, so that could potentially be disastrous.

So I was trying to think of exciting half marathons toward the beginning of May that I've heard of. There's the Running Fit Trail Half at the end of April, but I was thinking of something fast. Mo did the Flying Pig half last year and liked it, but as much as I enjoyed running the full Pig, I don't think I'd want to go back to do the half. The Indianapolis Mini-Marathon, the largest half in the country, came to mind. I actually have been interested in running this for a while but then this past spring came and the entire state of Indiana became a subject of ire for me. (background info, for anyone who doesn't know: the ex-boyfriend, who broke up with me in March, was placed in Indianapolis for his residency) We've actually been getting along abnormally well the last month or so, though, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that I'd have to decide if I want to do it soon, because early registration closes in December, and they expect it to sell out in early December. What a dilemma. If anyone's done this and wants to give me their pros/cons, I'd love to hear them!

EDIT: Forgot to say, if you think this is a terrible idea, feel free to tell me that too.

6 comments:

E-Speed said...

It sounds like fun to me! Go for it!

mo said...

I've heard Indy is a really good race. I've only heard good things about it from people anyway:) Another good one is the Riverbank Run 15k in GR in May.

mouse said...

Mo, Riverbank is 25k. I saw that and considered it, but I think I want to go with a half. I'm glad you've heard good things about Indy. It's big, but they have seeded corrals, so I can probably at least get into the under 2:00 corral, since my 2nd half in the Pig was under 2!

And thanks, Elizabeth, I think I just might go for it!

MplsJu said...

I think this is a really terrible idea. Pick a race not in Indiana or Ohio, that's my advice. This still leaves you with 48 other states as options. I'd recommend, in no particular order, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, California, and Washington. Why not?

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about doing the 5k in INDY but probably won't. If you are going to sign up for the half you might want to do it soon so they have a spot for ya. If you do get to do it, HAVE FUN!

mo said...

25k is what I meant:)

 
Site Meter