one of the departments here had a cookie extravaganza. it was fabulous, but unfortunately made me feel sick to my stomach from sugar overload. I went home and ran 4 on the treadmill to burn off some of the energy (well, not really. I had planned to run anyways) and then headed home and had a big pile of vegetables for dinner to counteract all the sugary goodness.
I also did 3 on Tuesday evening, on the treadmill, but it was pretty uneventful. Theroommate was the only other person in the fitness center that night, and she is decidedly not stinky. Speaking of, stinky man came in last night, but I was just about done so I didn't have to deal with his stench for long.
Speaking of vegetables, I was talking to my mom the other day on the phone. She hasn't been feeling well lately. She's very prone to chest infections because she has cancer, and she seems to have come down with one that she hasn't been able to shake in the past month. She never listens to her doctor whenever she goes to see him, because he always tells her to go over to the hospital to have antibiotics interjected via IV if she isn't feeling well by the end of the week. She has yet to go over to the hospital. She always tells me that that's not going to help her and she has too much to do with the holidays coming up... she can't waste a couple of days in the hospital, etc. Can I tell you how irritated this makes me? very. because inevitably what's going to happen is that she's going to wear herself down to the point where she cannot physically function by the time Christmas actually gets here and then she's going to end up spending Christmas in the hospital and everyone is going to be miserable and irritated. This actually happened two years ago. She had swelling on one side of her body and she refused to go to the doctor because she had "too much to do" and when she finally DID go, it ended up being a blood clot in her jugular and she wound up in the hospital for the entire week of Christmas. Anyways, my point is that I was yelling at my mom the other night about this and I told her that I had been eating piles of vegetables every night and taking lots of vitamins this week to make sure I had all the good stuff I needed not to get sick when I knew I had finals to complete... if I can eat vegetables until my head turns green for a week, she can go to the freaking hospital for an overnight stay. Geez oh petes.
edited to add: Rae, I loved the Flying Pig. I did the full there and there were a few hills at about mile 8 (I'm pretty sure the half does them too), but they're really not too bad at all. Great crowd support and organization, and it's not so big that you have to weave around thousands of people the entire time. Plus, the medal is awesome, and last year we got duffle bags as a complimentary gift. I am familiar with and like the city of Cincinnati (that's where my ex went to med school so I'd always go visit him), so I really enjoyed it. MoMo did the half, maybe she can comment on it for you.
Thursday, December 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
The Flying Pig half was my first one and I loved it. After you split off from the full marathon there is another uphill section, but it's worth it because the rest of the race (~2-3 miles) was downhill or flat. There is a rather steep downhill around mile 10 (if I recall correctly) that lasts about a mile. It's a good spot to make up some time because you'll have a super fast split:)
okay, the comments thing is all wrong...somehow the number is never indicative of the number of comments left (I've found that to be true not only on this blog)...
anyway, regarding your mom's health. please, please tell her to go to her doctor. this time of year, it's easy to want to put off checking anything out until after family get-togethers, at the cost of your health. seeing a doctor now, at this time of month, could possibly prevent needing to be hospitalized during the holidays. hope you guys are able to work things out...
I love downhill!! I rock at downhill. In the new edition of RW they list Flying Pig as one of the top ones to do, and talk about the huge crowd support which I'm ALL about. My bro lives in Cincy so I'm pretty familiar with some of the areas it runs through, and they are really gorgeous. Are you thinking about doing any part of it this year?
Post a Comment