Thursday, January 26, 2006

shifting my focus

football season is almost over. but don't fear, people. basketball season is already in full swing. I don't keep as close tabs on basketball, because games are on so frequently, but I enjoy a game every now and then. UM beat MSU last night, and from what I hear it was a nailbiter. I didn't actually watch the game because theroommate and I had Pistons tickets. it was up in the air whether or not we would go to the game, but since everything went pretty well yesterday we figured it would be something fun and relaxing.

this ended up being perhaps the funnest Pistons game we've been to. I think it was because we were surrounded by a bunch of single men who were our age. Evidently, girls who love sports and beer go well with such an audience. Everything was pretty tame until the second half, when we just couldn't help openly cracking up at the guy behind us. He was so funny. Once I turned around and made a comment to him he and his friend started joking around with us the rest of the game. Then theroommate started talking to the guy sitting next to her, and he was cracking up at us. Then I started making comments about the Michigan game because they were showing the score occasionally and they were showing people with UM and MSU shirts on the big screen (the Palace erupted in booooos when the State people came on!) and the guy sitting in front of us turned around and yelled, "Go Bucks!" (meaning Buckeyes, not the Milwaukee Bucks, who the Pistons happened to be playing). So of course I started cursing at him and he and his friend thought that was funny and kept saying stuff to us.

But then the girl who throws free t-shirts came to our section. I am a pro at collecting free t-shirts that I have no intention of ever wearing and then giving them away at various functions (secret santa gift, anyone?). Did I really want a Wireless Giant t-shirt? no. but it was free, so I saw it as my personal challenge to get one. Of course, I'm awesome at this, so I snagged one fairly easily. But then. good grief. Theroommate, who was tipsy and acting goofy, grabs my hard earned shirt and launches it into the rows in front of us! some little brat snatched it up so I had not chance of getting it back. I quickly called theroommate a bitch (I was joking, although that was a pretty bitchy thing to do) and the funny guy behind us thought the whole scenario was hilarious, so he gave me the t-shirt that he had snagged. awwww. I called Mo to get an update on the UM v. MSU score and funny guy behind us insisted on talking to her. He asked Mo how she knew us and they had a really long conversation. It turns out he and his friend were both ChemE's at UM. Mo and I were both engineering majors in undergrad, so I got really excited about that, and then I found out that the guys friend is an engineer major turned webmaster. sound familiar, anyone? We even got chided into dancing to the YMCA song by the funny guy behind us. Roommate was having none of it, but then I took her cotton candy and held it out in front of her (my arms are longer than hers are) so she had to stand up to get it. It was funny watching her fruitlessly try to snatch at the bag. hehe!

The Pistons won in overtime. My brother (who, by the way, informed me yesterday that he thinks my roommate is hot. how weird is that?) called me to tell me that we jinxed the Pistons. I don't know what the deal is with that. On the way out, we stopped by the Pistons store to get t-shirts. We were browsing around the store and roommate shows me these Pistons underwear that were incredibly cute. They're the boyshort type of underwear, but with the Pistons logo on them. needless to say, I am now the proud owner of these cute little boyshorts. this is going to lead to trouble come playoffs time...

1 comment:

Liv said...

Ha ha - love the story! I'm just catching up on your archives and everything, great blog!

 
Site Meter