Tuesday, February 21, 2006

a note on how awesome my friends are

tonight, I will run. that's what I've decided. I packed my bag and brought it with me, so I cannot get distracted.

now, on to the real point of this post. I have the best friends ever. I just wanted to inform you all of that for the millionth time. I was thinking about it last night, because I'm way behind on writing personal thank you's (I don't want to hear a "you don't have to" from either of you chicas, so be quiet. yes, I do. there's just so much I want to say) and I once again just felt so blessed that I have these people around me.

Mo, Ju, and bostonbound Katy all took days off to come spend practically the entire day with me at the funeral home. Ju flew in from Mpls. Katy drove in from Chicago. Mo took time off from her ridiculously packed work schedule (I swear that girl is always working these days!) to be there. And they spent the morning/afternoon at the funeral the next day too.

airforcefriend flew in from California. Took a week off of work, and took the redeye, the night that she died. He was by my side the entire weekend. I have no idea how many people asked me why I don't date/marry him. It was over a dozen, though.

Theroommate. as much as I blame her for my delinquency in getting back to running, she is an honest to God saint. she came to the hospital with me so many times I can't count. she said goodbye with me the night before we took her off the vent. she brought me things that I forgot... like every day. she forced me to eat. even forced me to eat three more bites of chicken one night before she'd let me leave B-dubs. she and her mom came up and cleaned our apartment (even did my laundry!). she listened to me describe everything to her, in horrid detail, the day that she died, because I just had to get it out.

even the-ex took a day off from being a busy surgical intern to come up for the funeral, and spent time with all of my extended family (since they all know him pretty well).

(kind of funny related note: several people asked my siblings if the people sitting all in a row at the funeral home were related to us, because they were there all day. my siblings were just like, "no, those are [mouse]'s friends". Even my siblings were way impressed.)

those who weren't there listened to me cry over the phone. a doctor friend of mine stepped out of work to offer me medical advice. she consoled me when we knew it was over. she told me I'd have - no, that I'd find - the strength to hold my mother's hand as she took her last breaths. and I did.

two of the crazychicas who couldn't be there for the funeral (and also doctor friend) will deal with me next week. I'm hoping it's a happy occasion, but there will certainly be sadness. it will be my first birthday without my mother. they've offered to celebrate (and most likely cry) with me.

they sat on the phone and listened to me for weeks. they read my posts and gave me advice on how to deal with my family. they cried with me. they held me while I sobbed. They drank with me. they stayed sober to make sure my brothers, sister and I got home safely the night of the funeral. they understood when I didn't want to talk. they sat with me anyways.

how do you possibly thank people like this? people that you literally think you'd totally break down without their help? sometimes, a card just doesn't seem like enough, you know?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pssshhh. cards are overrated.

Rae said...

it sounds like you have awesome friends. count yourself very lucky! (and it's obvious that u do!)

Scott said...

Sounds trite but I think that LOVE MEANS never having to say thank you.

To an outsider, it's clear that your friends really love you. Life has dealt you one of a couple of the lousiest cards that you will ever have to play in your entire life. So for the time being anyway, I hope you will just let them love you... don't worry about how to thank them.

 
Site Meter