Sunday, May 28, 2006

kid-induced havoc

my sissy, dad, and nephew came up today instead of me going down to my dad's place. the plan was to hit up the Detroit Zoo for the late morning/afternoon and then head back to my place for dinner and the absolutely awesome rhubarb pie that I made. Sunshine's mom, who I visited with on Friday, gave me lots of fresh rhubarb and a recipe for a kickass rhubarb cream pie so I decided to go with that instead of the cake because my dad really likes rhubarb pie.

The zoo was pretty uneventful, except for the dozens of animals snoozing in the shade and all that. there were also pregnant women out by the dozens. dude. if/when I decide to get pregnant? I am sooooooooo not spending the hottest, most miserable day of the year so far stomping around the zoo. what are they thinking? every time I go to someplace like the zoo, I always question whether or not I really want to have children. They're cute and all, but a lot of the time the act like brats and run around and do things that annoy you. but then again, most adults are the same way, so I guess I really have no point.

we came back from the zoo and had steaks at Outback, because my dad pretty much refuses to go anyplace else (he loves him some steak) and washed them down with a few margaritas. then we headed back to my place for the aforementioned awesome pie. my dad ended up taking a nap on the couch, my sister passed out on my bed, and my poor nephew was left to be amused by my stuffed animals (yes, I still have stuffed animals. leave me alone). here are some pics from the aftermath of the zoo exhaustion...

pops napping on the couch

sissy napping on my bed while rugrat plays and drools all over

rugrat, playing with some stuffed animals

the two of us, looking mischievious. (please excuse the bedhead)

sissy, rugrat, and I

sissy and I

so that was the day today. I think it went well, considering. it was good to get my dad out of the house and not just sitting around at home. the rugrat saw the picture that I have up of me and my mom and he said, "hey! that's you and Nana Sue! Nana Sue died, you know. She's with Jesus now." which, of course set both my sister and I off on a crying spree which totally freaked him out. I explained to him that today was her birthday, and that I'm sure she's celebrating with Jesus. And that He's certainly got a big old margarita up there for her.

it is officially hotter than the sun out right now, and I have yet to get my run in. I'm going to lace up now and head over to the trails, where hopefully it's a bit cooler. and then? I think a dip in the pool sounds perfect.

hope all you people racing today did well, and that those of you racing tomorrow are free from the racing nerves. I am sooooooo glad tomorrow's a holiday.

4 comments:

MplsJu said...

Beautiful pics of Sissy and her sissy. It's fricking hot over here too - too hot to go to the beach, even! We went for a half hour and were sweating just laying in the shade. That half hour sure sucked the energy out of us, though. Looks like the heat wiped your fam out, too.

Jess said...

I think it's hot everywhere this time of year. Time to huddle into the cool of air conditioning and stay there.

Anonymous said...

the one of you and the rugrat, where you two look eeeeviiil, is awesome :)

Rae said...

Great pics!!! It sounds like you guys had a fun day and nothing beats a nap in the AC when it's insanely hot. I was expecting a pic of nephew doing a "west side" but.....ok

Our thermo read 103 this afternoon. WTF????

Let's all skip work tomorrow!!

 
Site Meter