I'm tired. well, my legs are. otherwise i'm doing ok. my legs feel like lead this week. Tuesday's LT run was terrible. yesterday was ok, but that's because I took it nice and slow. ok. from yesterday...
Wednesday - recovery 5 miler. waited until late to get out because it was hot outside and I had to let the steak that I ate for dinner settle. steak was only questionably good, as it made me feel like throwing up. I headed over to one of the local parks to get some trails in and quickly realized that was a really bad idea because a) it was really dark in the woods by that time and b) there were bugs swarming my head like crazy. seriously, I turned around at one point to see a HUGE swarm of bugs directly behind me. I followed some random trail that I didn't know the distance of and got halfway lost because I didn't want to stop and look at the maps for fear that The Swarm would come kill me. I got the hell out of there as quickly as possible and finished my run up on the road near the park. so 5 easy. done.
Tuesday - planned: 9 w/ 4 @ LT pace. actual: 9 w/ 2 @ LT pace. took the first two nice and easy, and actually felt great. but then I started the LT miles. LT pace for me, based on my recent half, should be around 8:22/mile pace (that's what my projected 15k time would be based on my 1:52 half). I figured I'd try for that, and if I felt good I could always go a bit faster. clicked through two of them pretty much on pace (8:22, 8:29) and then boom. my legs just felt like lead. I was so freaking tired. I stopped about 1/4 way through the next mile, drank some water and tried to get going again, but it just wasn't happening. I had gotten a terrible night's sleep the night before, so that may be part of the issue, but I think a big part of it was the too fast long run on Saturday (3 of my miles were in the high 8:40-8:50 range, which felt good at the time, but clearly wasn't a good idea). it's also probably because of the building milage that's been happening for like 4 weeks now. I was just thinking the other day, "oh my GOD. can I PLEASE have a stepback week yet?" (God answered: "yes. next week." in the form of Pfitz) anyways, just chilled out and ran easy the rest of the run and finished the 9 at 9:20 pace exactly.
the really funny things about Tuesday's run?
1) there were two girls walking llamas down the bike path. i'm so not kidding.
2) at one point I looked down and saw a bunch of lightning bugs had decided to hitch a ride on my shirt. it startled me at first, because it looked kind of like I was the kid from Stand By Me, you know, where he has the leaches all over his body? but then I thought, "no way, suckers. expend your own energy!" and flicked them all off one by one.
3) A GOOSE TRIED TO ATTACK ME. I'm not kidding. I always thought that if a goose attacked me I could just kick it and I would win (I am bigger than most geese, afterall). but the thing started flapping his wings and I realized that if he were off the ground my "just kick him" strategy would be useless so I got kind of worried. while most of the geese ran the other way, one stupid creature started running RIGHT TOWARDS ME! what the heck. I immediately thought that Sunshine's irrational fear of geese wasn't so irrational anymore. But then I wondered... have any of you been attacked by a goose? how much damage do they really cause?
so even if it was a crappy run, it was at least amusing.
Sunday I did a recovery 4 in the middle of the wretched heat, and it felt great! It's bizarre that the "lead legs" didn't kick in until after I had rested.
on a non-running related note... swam Monday and Wednesday mornings, and lifted chest and shoulders yesterday with coworker.
so the plan is to complete this week's milage without stressing about time. Saturday i'm doing my long run on some challenging trails purposely so that I CANNOT pay attention to my time, and to get ready for the trail 'thon that's coming up. I like trails better than the usual path anyways.
if all goes well and my legs are feeling better this weekend, I'm thinking of taking another stab at the LT workout next week instead of the planned 8+strides, since I only got half the miles in. any thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I've been hissed at by geese before, but never had one take a run at me. But if you work a "jump" in before performing the "kick" action, you can negate the goose's advantage of being airborne.
You do have ninja skills, don't you?
I can just picture a swarm of bugs heading towards you - kinda like in the cartoons. As for the geese, geese are geese. They have nothing better to do but honk at you and poop on the grass.
Nice job on your run!
You were probably near a nest, and the male was chasing you away. They'll chase ANYTHING near the nest. One chased my truck because they made the nest in one of those islands in the parking lot. Normally you can scare them by hold your arms out like an airplane and they see you as bigger and run away. Except when a nest of eggs is involved. Then you have no choice but to fight. May the best goose win.
LMAO at this post....so much funny stuff...hey we are exactly the same freaking pace! Maybe I'll have to do the DEEEtroit marathon someday. :)
Llamas? WTF?
Birds are SO gross!! All they want to do is peck your eyes out!
Llamas????
Geese are evil, vile-tempered birds. The fact that one attacked me as a child has nothing to do with my dislike of them - though they are nice around the holidays. :)
Llamas though? Wow. That's an oddity.
Wow, that's some interesting wildlife you've got there.
Geese are scary. Apparently a beat from their wings can break your arm. I wouldn't tangle!
See!!!!! I am not the only one that knows geese (and all other mid-large sized birds) are the devil's pets!
Rae is totally right - they ARE trying to peck your eyes out!!! Those beady little eyes... you never know what they are thinking.
Garou - so sorry to hear you were also attacked as a child. Mine was actually a chicken (which freak me out more than geese), but it is something you just don't recover from. EVER!!!
And, the way they flap their wings all crazy freaks me the hell out!
Ugggh... it gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
I had a very buggy run the other day as well -- they were like spackle on my face, arms, and shoulders. Disgusting.
geese?! yikes!!!! i hate geese!!!!
I was attacked by a goose. Both my husband and I sustained no lasting injuries but David strained his neck trying to hide under my truck! That thing was pissed and it sounded like a helicopter coming directly at my face. I do my best to avoid geese at all costs.
Sounds like Mother Nature had it in for you this week! I'm glad the geese here just stick to pooping everywhere instead of attacking.
I'd probably let the LT run go, so as to fully enjoy the stepback week. Sounds like you could use the break. Hope your long run went well!
Post a Comment