Thursday, August 10, 2006

all these things that I've done

I've been too busy and too tired to post lately so I've just been attempting to crash when I settle down in the evenings. I was about ready to say, "I don't know why i've been so tired lately," but I have a feeling that it has something to do with the 50 miles last week and the not getting to bed before midnight at all this week.

on top of the being tired, I have committed too many health related/running sins to count in the past week, which may include but are not limited to: staying out until 4 a.m. on Saturday after my long run, not drinking enough water, having cheesecake and coffee for lunch multiple times this week (it's not my fault! no one else is eating it, and I sure as hell am not going to let it go to waste), calling wings, potato wedges, and beer "dinner" after eating cheesecake for lunch, not getting up for my run on Tuesday because of a late night phone call from a man who isn't even interested in me, running the last half of my run last night in the dark because I was on the phone with a man who *gasp* is quite possibly interested in me, attempting to eat every possible piece of dessert that I could fit into my stomach at the departmental picnic and calling that a meal (it was a challenge I gladly accepted), not making sure I was sunblocked up properly on my long run, and eating taco bell in the wee hours of the morning.

I did get all my miles in last week, even doing my 7 + strides on Sunday after my (very slow) long run Saturday. Monday I cross trained and then Tuesday I had every intention of getting up to do my 6 but was too freaking tired. It was my dad's birthday so I had to drive down and have dinner with him that night so I have to shift things around to get the run in yet this week. Yesterday's 12 was pretty good, but slow. I'm running into the "I feel like going slow all the time" problem. Which isn't so bad, and which I'm pretty sure is due to the fact that my body isn't quite used to 50 mile weeks yet. I haven't done this much milage since high school, and even then we were splitting our miles into two-a-days (which I'm pretty sure Pfitz says are not quite as difficult on/beneficial to the body as longer runs are, since the longer runs are teaching your body to do the whole glycogen depletion thing more efficiently). If i'm still feeling the need to go slow in a few weeks, once I should be a bit more acclimated and have had the chance for a recovery week to have come and gone, I might be a little worried. My main objective is to do the longer runs easy and to make sure I'm getting the speedwork in as scheduled.

with that in mind, I was reminded by a friend a few weeks ago that the Run Thru Hell is this weekend, which includes a 10 mile run. Since I'm supposed to do 11 on Friday anyways (w/ 6 at LT pace) I thought it would be a good opportunity to have a bit more fun with my LT miles. So I'm going to do that on Saturday morning and then will rest and carb up as well as possible the rest of the day before I do my long run on Sunday. Not ideal, putting the LT run back to back with a long run, but I think as long as it's an isolated thing i'll be ok. And it will certainly make sure I get the LT miles in at a fast pace, eh? that definitely means this weekend is going to be a stay in and rest weekend.

ok, off to do Tuesday's missed 6 this evening. YAY STRIDES! (that's totally me trying to psyche myself up so that I don't hate them!)

5 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Girl, you better get more sleep!! I tried that during my last marathon training...thinking I could slip by with just a few hours sleep - it sucks!! As soon as I got caught up on sleep I felt better. I still say you are doing great, though, getting all those miles in!

E-Speed said...

dammit now I want to do the run through hell, bummer!

I swear adding miles makes you slower, until race day that is, so don't expect as much out of your speedwork if you are adding so much extra mileage!

I am so happy to be back to low mileage and no biking or swimming so I can get speedy again!

Haight said...

mmmmmm....cheesecake

oh, sorry

Anonymous said...

screw the guys. in addition to recently finding out one ex is engaged and i might have to go on vacation with another ex and his new gf, two others have recently reached out to "say hello." what the heck. leave me alone!!! and you should tell them you need to sleep!!!! boys are on my suck list right now.

MNFirefly said...

GET SOME SLEEP, like what Lana said. The body needs it in order to repair your poor body. Forgive yourself on the eating stuff and FORGET it - move on! Tommorow's a new day and another chance to make positive changes.

 
Site Meter