Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I totally cheated, but...

I got my LT run in yesterday. done. complete. successful. but for it to be these things, I had to do it on the treadmill. yes, I could have gotten up at 5 (I actually set my alarm, got out of bed, and then laughed and got back into bed) but there was already a heat index of 87 or something ridiculous, and as we have previously discussed, me + early mornings <> a runner capable of hitting LT pace for 5 miles. and I needed to, because I bombed my last LT workout. since it was like 100 when I got home from work with a heat index of 110... well, it wasn't happening outside in the evening either. so indoors I went. and it actually wasn't bad at all. like MG, I don't really mind running on the treadmill all that much, as long as I don't make a habit out of it.

so 3 to warm up and then 5 at LT pace. this for me is somewhere between 8:10-8:20ish/mile pace, I think, so my splits looked like this:

1 - 8:20
2 - 8:13
3 - 8:20
very quick bathroom break
4 - 8:13
5 - 8:06

my stomach started cramping up in the third mile so I stopped quickly to use the rest room and then after that I felt great! well, as great as you can feel going at a pretty decent effort. my legs felt fresh so I sped up a bit for the last mile. 2 miles nice and slow to cool down to finish off my 10 and I was all set for the day. excellent. I was watching the stupid people laying out by the pool while I was running this, thinking about how crazy they were to be laying out in the sun on purpose on a day like yesterday. so yeah, not the ideal run because it would have been better to get it done outside where I was forcing myself to keep the pace, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. first double digit run of the week is done! I was also happy to feel that my legs felt nice and recovered after last week's stepback. excellent.

Monday I did yoga in the evening and last night I used my stick a bit before going to bed. one of my goals is to make sure I'm getting in a decent stretching session at least 3 times a week. i'm hoping this will help with the muscle recovery and soreness, especially with the high milage weeks that are coming up.

this morning was a nice swim (1 mile). since the pool right next to my work is closing at the end of the week I feel like I need to get swims in there while I can.

tonight will be a nice easy recovery run.

8 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

"Monday I did yoga in the evening and last night I used my stick a bit before going to bed."

Good thing you added the link to that.....people might get the WRONG idea!!! LOL!!!

BTW, you're numbers look awesome!!!

Triseverance said...

Great job with the LT Mouse, those are hard for me the hardest so far but I have yet to run a VO2 Max.

I agree with you on the stretching thing. I need to be better there as well. Soreness is really starting to creep into my legs with this Pfitz plan. But I have to admit I can't remember my legs ever feeling this strong.

Brooke said...

I heart my stick. It's the best.

Michele said...

Wow! Awesome run.

Why is the pool closing at the end of the week?

MNFirefly said...

BTW, you are NOT cheating by using the treadmill. It's better than being the God damn heat.

My friend made me a cheap version. Cheap meaning that he found the parts to make it at a lower cost than buying the Stick. Unfortunately, it did not come with an instruction manual.

Good luck tommorow on your recovery run.

Anonymous said...

this has absolutely nothing to do your post; however, tonight I had some great beer. I thought of you, and wished I had a bucket o' beer :)

Cheers!

Liv said...

Treadmills might suck, but they're better than no run at all, which is what I've been doing most of the time lately. Sigh - I never thought I'd long for a dreadmill!

teacherwoman said...

Nice splits!!

 
Site Meter