you know how sometimes you're just chilling out, in a holding pattern for a while and then all of a sudden things start moving really quickly and there's lots to do and seemingly little time to do it in? yeah. that's me.
work's kind of crazy, but in a good way. school starts in a few weeks and I don't even know what i'm taking for my last grad school elective. Detroit's only 10.5 weeks away and I feel like I have so much to do to prepare for that yet... I totally don't feel ready. a lot of the tasks I wanted to accomplish before school started up haven't managed to handle themselves, and I certainly haven't completed them, so those are still on my "to do" list. but it's good. keeps me focused. I'm much better at getting stuff done when I feel like I have a lot to do than when I can just be lazy and get them done whenever I feel like it.
I've been doing lots these last few days... woke up and swam 3/4 mile on Monday morning and then headed over to lift chest and shoulders that night. followed up by some yoga to stretch the legs out and I was in bed at a decent hour, but couldn't get to sleep. I'm in this weird lull where I can't handle the ambient noises around me. I need something to drown them out. so I layed in bed for an hour before finally getting up and turning on my fan for some white noise and instantly fell asleep. That left me with an hour less sleep on Tuesday when I got up to do some more yoga (i'm fightin' the soreness) and then had a super stressful day at work. I had to go in early to teach a workshop so coworker suggested I duck out early as well and I gladly took him up on that offer. after a quick lifting session working my upper and lower back I headed out for 60 minutes of trail running. It was wonderful, and totally took me out of the funk that I had been in. I drove back from the park singing questionable pop songs at the top of my lungs with the car windows rolled down. I also used the stick for a bit to ward off any wonkyness that I might have picked up while out on the run. I got something ridiculous like 9 hours of sleep last night. awesome. I just ate some couscous and am going to do a quick change before heading out for tonight's 14 miler. seriously, who created this plan? 14 miles on a Wednesday? At least the weather has been absolutely awesome lately.
I've had a couple of questions about the ice baths... basically what I do is get in the tub and start running cold water until it's high enough to completely cover my quad muscles. Then I dump whatever is in our ice bin (we have one of those automatic ice makers) into the water, start my timer, and wait 10 minutes. I usually only do them after really long runs, but since I knew I wanted to be somewhat fresh for my 20 on Sunday I took one after my 11 on Saturday too. I wear a long sleeve shirt while I'm sitting in the tub (it usually gets wet, but it's worth it to have the extra warmth on top) and that helps make it bareable, as do magazines or something to distract you from the frigidness.
mmm... frigidness...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I think thats the best method for a home ice bath. Trying to dip directly into an already ice cold bath is just way too hard. Too bad we cant all afford a nice stand up ice bath like they had in college! I was in that damn ice bath every freaking day, and my legs still felt like shit, can we say overtrained? lol. But I used to love those ice baths. Now they arent as much fun without the whirlpool tub and the frozen toes :) Oh and the 4 other runners piled in for company!
Your ice bath is what I do at home. I don't like them, but I know that I need them.
Questionable pop songs...I think we need a list so we can judge for ourselves.
I agree with JK, we are going to need a list of questionable pop songs. Thanks for the tips on the ice bath. One might be in order after this weekend.
So half naked in the ice bath with a long sleeve shirt on? LOL I'll have to remember to lock the door if I try that :-)
I just can NOT bring myself to sit in a tub of ice cold water.
I am SO sold on ice baths since I started them in June on the insane long days....I do them the same way you do. Except without the shirt--ha ha! That cracks me up though!
14 miles on a Wednesday?! You're a rock star!
ice baths?! *brrr* i hope there is a real good result from that... i spend the majority of my life trying to get warmer *ahh, toasty*
I need to remember the ice bath after this weekend.
I will be at the Freep as well - I am only doing the half. My goal is 25 halfs in 25 states. I have 9 halfs down (after the Freep) and 4 states (I do the freep every year!)
My MusicMatch jukebox consists entirely of questionable pop songs. I'm a big 80s nerd. I also like scissor sisters and tegan and sara. Here's to not listening to something because it's cool.
Post a Comment