there are many advantages to running with someone else. I did it pretty much all throughout high school. There was rarely a run when I wasn't side-by-side with someone. I have many fond memories about running with the girls' cross country and track teams, talking about our crushes (cough*jacob*cough), or singing random simon and garfunkle songs (yes, we sang while we ran. we were odd).
but I learned in my adult life that I really just didn't enjoy it that much. no two runners can possibly be exactly alike, and it's hard to focus on your own goals and running when you're worried about whether you're running fast or slow enough for someone beside you. and having to say "excuse me" when you (inevitably) start passing gas during a run? totally a pain in the ass.
and then dice, the "boy who pretty much enjoys spending his time doing the exact same things that I do" moved to Chicago. and we were all, "OH YAY WE CAN RUN TOGETHER!" and shit. and immediately I was like, "this fucking blows, man." because dice? is totally one of THOSE people. You know the ones that drift aimlessly back and forth across the path? I am totally one of the "run on the edge of the path so I'm not in anyone's way" runners. He's totally one of those, "THERE'S LIKE, SEVERAL FEET ACROSS OF GOOD SPACE! I SHOULD USE IT! WHO CARES THAT EVERYONE HAS TO MANEUVER INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC TO GET AROUND ME!" runners. I hate people like him.
so for the first few runs I decided I would just pretend I didn't know him. I even started running with my ipod (turned down low so I could hear him when we wanted to chat) when we were together so I could tune out and pretend he didn't belong with me. On multiple occasions I've told him just to go on ahead of me because he's faster than I am and I wasn't enjoying running with him anyways.
but then somewhere in the past few months of sporadically getting out and hitting the path, he's paid heed to my consistent "ARRRRGGGGGGGG!" that is elicited by his weaving back and forth on the path. He now runs in a nice, straight line, and has even tried to take the very edge of the path from me. (does anyone else find that they NEED to run on a certain side of people?) and this is awesome, people. because even though I know I'm running too slow for him and he knows that he can run up ahead if he wants, I think we're both really enjoying being able to spend that part of our day together.
Besides, who are you going to have a snowball fight with mid-run if you don't have a running partner, right? The snow that fell last night was PERFECT packing snow.
now SOMEONE GO FIND OUT WHAT HE'S GETTING ME FOR CHRISTMAS AND REPORT BACK, PRONTO!!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have to agree about running with a partner. For most of my runs, I like the solo feeling, but in the midst of hard-core training, like for a marathon, I prefer the company.
Misery loves company, right? I just wish that for once I was the faster one of the two.
Running with a partner is much better than alone. It feels so much better and you gives you initiative to run instead of staying home.
I have an opinion on this issue (as I do with most issues, surprise surprise). I have a running buddy who I feel depends on me making plans with her to run for motivation. Particularly in the winter, when I run indoors on a treadmill, I prefer to jam to tunes while running - it's almost a zenlike state where I can listen to the music and let my mind wander. But she still wants to make plans. My solution? To make plans with her a few times a week - and sometimes steal away to the gym to run on my own. :)
Post a Comment