Tuesday, January 22, 2008

swimming by numbers

one of the really thoughtful gifts that dice gave me for Christmas was a lap counter that I can use in the pool. Every time I swim I always forget what lap i'm on and I zone out and I never get the count right so I always end up doing about 5 extra laps "just in case" I overcounted. i'm obsessive compulsive, so I always want to make sure i'm over rather than under. Having not even expressed this frustration to dice, he got me this great gift and I was like, "sweet! how did you know i'm stupid at counting when I'm in the pool?!"

So fast forward to Sunday, when I get to use the superawesome lap counter for the first time. because I haven't swam in for.ev.er. So i'm in the pool and it's cold and I get through about 4 laps and i'm like, this is really not as fun as I remember it being but then I just chilled out, got in a zone and went. But since it's a new pool and all, I wasn't sure the length. I *thought* that the pool I used to swim at back at Michigan was longer for some reason, and I remembered that I swam 36 laps to get a mile there. So I figured that this pool was probably about half that length. so that's like, 71 laps that i'd have to swim to get a mile in.

I get through about 32 laps and i'm like, "screw this, i'm done." I remember distinctly thinking that it had taken me an awful long time to go just a measly half mile. I mean, usually I can get at least a mile in in 40 minutes, and on Sunday I had gone half that distance? good grief am I out of shape.

So we asked at the front desk what the length of the pool is, and they said 25 meters. and I was like, well, that's right... I'd need to do 64 laps to get a mile in.

it wasn't until yesterday, as I was sitting in the locker room lamenting my slowness in the pool after having swam 18 laps, that I realized that it's 64 lengths that equals a mile in a 25 m pool. evidently I am TOTALLY STUPID AT MATH when it comes to swimming or something, because I had this TOTALLY screwed up. and to think, I thought multivariable calculus was a breeze in college. hmph.

I did some investigating when I got home and sure enough, the pool that I used to swim in at michigan was 25 yards, so it's even shorter than the one I am swimming in now. It's amazing how much chlorine can distort your depth perception, eh? :)

anyways, so that means I did a mile on sunday and over half a mile yesterday. And more importantly, it means i'm not nearly as slow as I thought I was. granted, still slow, but whatever.

so YAY FOR FIGURING OUT NUMBERS IN THE POOL.

on a side note, after we swam dice and I were sitting in the hot tub and these two dudes walked out of the sauna in what was CLEARLY their underwear, not a swimsuit. They proceeded to get into the hot tub; we proceeded to get out. ick.

we also lifted chest and shoulders yesterday and let me tell you, I am a beast when it comes to bench pressing. GRRRRRRRR!

This morning I woke up with a super awesome sinus infection/head cold/general ickyness. I still got up and trudged down to dice's to meet up with him to head to the gym, but he ordered me inside to go back to sleep. I guess my misery was pretty evident or something. So no workout today, and probably not tomorrow either unless this mess clears up. The good news is that I think the ankle only has some bruising. it's tender to the touch, but putting weight on it doesn't hurt at all. super excited about that.

3 comments:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Hooray for being fast in the pool! And those lap counters are little pieces of heaven.

So do you have any tri's on the radar this summer?

MNFirefly said...

Awesome job, Mouse. I can not imagine what the pool is like early in the morning.

I hope you feel better soon.

Rae said...

Ooooh, I need a lap counter. I always forget how many I've done and just round up. =)

 
Site Meter