Wednesday, January 16, 2008

that's mighty early.

I've done the whole "go to the gym before work" thing quite a few times since college. it's a great habit to get into if you don't have much to do during the evenings that force you to stay up super late and you don't mind missing out on a few hours of sleep here and there. but actually starting that habit? well, I imagine it's like the first few days without crack for an addict or something. it's difficult. but it's one of those things you have to suffer through for a bit before you get used to it, and then it's really not so bad.

I decided that doing the whole before work gym thing was going to be my only option for actually getting to the gym. by the time I get home from work i'm exhausted and it's just so much easier to sit down on my couch rather than actually go out and do anything. and the whole new years resolutioners thing makes the gym wacky anyways at this time of year so it would really just be miserable trying to fight people for a treadmill that you feel too tired to be on anyways.

I've craftfully conned dice into believing that the before work gym thing was a good idea too. so last week we tried it, and regardless of whether we were staying in the same apartment or not, it just wasn't happening. We did manage to get up and meet for a run one morning, but otherwise... it wasn't happening. runs occurred in the evening for the rest of the week.

this week, however... well, it started off shaky, with me not being able to get to sleep at a decent hour on Sunday night. But so far Tuesday and today have been successes. I'm super excited about it because now I don't have to feel stupid for falling asleep at like, 8 o'clock at night. IT'S TOTALLY JUSTIFIED! I GOT UP EARLY THIS MORNING!

so yes, runs yesterday and today, and then some weights. have I mentioned how much I love free weights lately? I haven't done presses with an *actual* barbell since I worked out with my old coworker a few summers ago. and deadlifts! with more than 80 pounds! woooooo!

so that's that. We'll see how it continues through the rest of the week and the weekend, but the non-busyness of the gym and the whole "feeling energized all day" thing has got us hooked, I think.

changing topics...

last weekend was a big ball of fun. We tried a new place on Friday night that has $5 martinis. we still ended up paying as much for our drinks as we did for our food (the waitress was quite persuasive in getting us to order our third round).

Saturday we spent the evening with KTG and her husband. They took us to a WONDERFUL Italian place that seriously had what I believe to be the best Italian food pretty much EVER. It was great catching up with them as we haven't had a chance to hang out in a while. We also took the Christmas decorations down this past weekend, and I'm working on throwing out as much junk that I have as possible. I threw out a big pile of stuff that I have in storage that i'm never going to use, so I consider that a victory.

This weekend we're looking forward to the extra day off. I haven't gotten MLK day off since I was in college, since Michigan has this strange policy where students get the day off but faculty and staff do not. Between the extra day off and a probable sushi date we have with another jayhawk-loving couple on Friday night, it's looking like it should be a relaxing and fun filled weekend.

except for, you know, the single digit weather that's coming our way. totally NOT excited about that.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

I totally admire you for getting up early to work out. I envy for getting an extra weekend day. I miss those days

Margo said...

Ugh. I totally wish that I had the determination to get up in the morning to work out. I keep saying that I'm going to do it, then I'll do it once or twice and then not at all. Need to get back into that habit because it's too easy to come home and reach for the wine than for my workout clothes!

L*I*S*A said...

I'd love to hit the gym early, but with this crazy schedule, that would be 4am.

Not.

 
Site Meter