Monday, July 28, 2008

recovery weeks lead to exhaustion, evidently

uh... so we kind of took last week's "recovery week" label very, very seriously and hardly did half of the runs. and, well, i'm not really too worried about that for some reason. If life has to happen in the middle of a training cycle, I guess I'm happy that a lot of it happened to fall on a week when the runs weren't supposed to be that important anyways.

Between the batshit crazy drama that's going on, and the whole going and drinking a whole lot of beer with friends at a pretty awesome concert (yes, Coldplay was awesome. you should buy tickets to this tour immediately), and then being stressed out by estate shit and family stuff... well, last week was tiring enough without adding in the whole running factor.

And then throw on top of that the whole trip back to Michigan. We rolled into my dad's driveway super late on Friday evening and then proceeded to have a really bad night's sleep. There's something really eerie about being in that house, when it used to be so filled with 6+ loud voices living there, and now there are none... I have a hard time feeling at ease when I'm there. We spent most of the day on Saturday packing up my mom's kitchen.

Saturday evening we cleaned ourselves up and then headed up to Ann Arbor to meet with some friends for the evening. Momo and the other girls all headed out to German Park to hang out with us (ok, I think they really only went for the beer and the oddly dressed German people, but whatever) and we had a total blast, as usual. I kept explaining it to Dice so he'd know what to expect, but he still seemed really confused when we pulled into a big field in the middle of nowhere and there were thousands of people filling a small space and all drinking deliciously strong German beer out of big old buckets. I once again had the joyful experience of walking through a crowd only to find that beer was cresting the spout of my bucket and flowing onto the children wandering through the crowd below me. Someone needs to initiate this event near Chicago ASAP. Seriously. Dice has already asked me if we can go back next month. (for those who plan ahead, I don't know... we have to figure out when the family will be in town to work again)

We crashed at my friend Jenn's place for the night on Saturday and then spent the next day at my sister's house, helping her prepare for the Rugrat's surprise birthday party. I got to spend a lot of time with my sister and the younger of my two brothers this weekend, so that was nice. There has been a LOT that has happened in the last few months with respect to the relationship we all as siblings have with each other. it is significant that I just wrote that it was nice spending time with them, because it's truly how I feel, and that means that i'm getting back to the point where I accept and love them all an awful lot, despite anything that has happened between us. They still piss me off and frustrate me more than pretty much anyone else in the world, but like I told everyone at my dad's funeral... we'll figure it out. we'll get through it.

Traffic on the way back in SUUUUUUCKED ass. the 30 miles of I-94 that pass through Indiana before you hit the toll way were ALL under construction. I was pretty much ready to kill someone by the time we got through the mess. We were probably about an hour and a half delayed getting back home.

The other great thing about this weekend was that I got to chat with both Airforcefriend and the twin. I play phone tag with Airforcefriend regularly, but I haven't talked to the twin in probably years. good times, good times. I miss those boys.

Tonight we are back to the grind, heading out for a 7 miler. We're shuffling things around this week, but we're intending to hit most - if not all - of the miles on our schedule. I just am not up for doing 5 at LT pace tonight, so we're adjusting to get those in tomorrow and we're going to get an easy general aerobic run in tonight. I am completely exhausted from the last week/weekend and need to rest up this evening. heh. 7 miles is "resting up." bizarre.

2 comments:

Margo said...

Love the pics and your description of the beer bucket party - I've never heard of anything like it, so it'll be the beer bucket party to me. How fun!!

MNFirefly said...

Sounded like a fun weekend. I feel for you on the traffic majorly sucking. The other side of I-94 AND I-90 near WI was SLLLLOOOW due to the construction and it sucked. Hopefully the view was better where you guys were.

 
Site Meter