Decided to head over to the local state park to get my 4 miles in tonight and had a great run, despite the fact that I was kind of dreading it. It was absolutely gorgeous out, totally perfect weather.
I was so distracted by the volleyball net that I saw set up that I a) forgot to strap on my iPod, and b) didn't realize that the entire path was shady. So, when I started running into the woods I couldn't see a thing because I had my sunglasses on. Then I realized I had forgotten my iPod, but it was too late to turn back so I had to run without music and with my sunglasses bobbing up and down on top of my head. about 1/4 mile in I suddenly had to pee so I headed off my intended path a ways to where I knew there was a pit toilet. Not until I had already locked the door did I realize that there were 3 wasps nests in this particular shack. wonderful. I made it out unstung, luckily, but I wonder why the people who tidy up the toilets (yes, they have to be cleaned by staff, this thing was immaculate) don't do something about these pests.
Anyways, I continued on and felt great pretty much the entire run. I went pretty hard, but I think my Forerunner was a little off, because it said I was doing 8:36 miles. not likely. I was also running through a forest, so I'm 98% positive some of that speed is due to inacuracy on the forerunner's part (the gps loses signal in heavy tree coverage). Also, it said I ended up with 4.67 miles, and I know that has to be off... it was probably more like 4.25 or so, based on previous runs in the same park.
so overall a good run. The terrain is pretty hilly and had me working hard, and the other runners out also gave me incentive to push a little harder. I always wonder if I look like a "real" runner to other people who run, you know what I mean? I am always ultra cognizant of my form and pace when other, more "advanced" looking runners are around. It's kind of funny.
on a totally unrelated note, I have discovered another completely and totally addicting food item this evening. I bought a can of wasabi and soy covered almonds (blue diamond brand, if you're interested) and holy crap are they good. mmm...wasabi... I ate a ridiculously large amount of them BEFORE dinner tonight. that's not good. at least they're considered "healthy", right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Almonds are very good for you. You just may have eaten a couple of extra ones, right?
The weather today was fabulous. My group meets at Lake Lansing on Thursday nights to run the trails or do speedwork. I ran speedwork tonight for the first time. It reminded me so much of high school except I was in the lead for two of them (definetly not used to that). It was a really good workout. I may even be sore tomorrow:) Here's what we did:
15 min warm up
4:00 @ 5k pace
1:00 rest
1:00 @ quicker pace
4:00 rest
and repeat 3 to 4 times
2 mile warm down
I've been really happy with the paces I've been doing on my runs, but I'm a little worried I'm doing too much. I haven't really been following a training calendar. The last couple of weeks I've done 10 milers, but I don't really need to be. Especially since my target race (Detroit) is 3 months away. I just need to be careful that I don't get injured. I've been pretty faithful about using "the stick" and stretching lately (which reminds me...).
Did you ever find out any information about the Crystal Lake Marathon?
Time for bed:)
I had a bunch of almonds with breakfast this morning too. I swear half the can is gone.
I'm avoiding speedwork like the plague. I've started formulating a far fetched and intricate plan that involves speedwork after Chicago, but for now I'm just going to work on getting my pace and 3/1 runs in and try to nail down a concrete goal for this cycle.
I got an email on Tuesday from some lady at the chamber of commerce about the team marathon. She was quite rude and basically just said she would mail me an application. My dad swung by there and said he picked one up for me already, though, so I'll just get it from him when he comes home this weekend.
I, too, love almonds. Lightly salted. Yum
Post a Comment