Wednesday, July 27, 2005

finally, a cool spell!

Up at 5:40 this morning to get out the door by 6 for my 7 miler and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was cool and raining lightly when I walked out the door. I guess I should start checking the weather more often so that I can actually plan what to wear instead of just assuming it's going to be a gazillion degrees out with 100% humidity, eh? So I was a little cool starting out my run (I was wearing a tank top) but I warmed up quickly.

I felt very uncoordinated and slow for most of the run. I literally felt like I was dragging myself for the first 1.5 miles. I think I'm just a little bit tired. I try to be in bed by 10 every night but I always get distracted by stupid stuff and end up getting to bed later. The last 2 miles or so I felt better, though, and I ended with around a 9:47/mile pace. Slower than last week's 7 miler, but I'm not worried. There's no point in racing myself and trying to do each week's run faster than the last because that's just going to lead to injury.

I did legs and core last night as planned. I'm not feeling the ab exercises too much yet, but I know I'll be feeling it tomorrow.

I think I have a problem with certain foods. I am addicted to them. like, obsessively addicted. addictive foods on my menu this week include:

-Basha Hummus. This stuff is seriously the best tasting thing ever. I can literally sit down and eat an entire little carton of it at a time. so good. Much better than the Athenos brand, but it's made in Inkster so it's hard to find anywhere but around here. I Particularly like the tomato and basil kind or the garlic kind.

-Chai Tea. Caribou has the best soy chai lattes ever, but I'm trying to cut back on my expensive coffeehouse habit, so i've been making it at home or work instead. The Tazo brand you can get at the store isn't bad for lattes, but our admin at work brought in this new Bigelow Vanilla Chai tea (teabags) and it is soooo good. I also like Stash's Chai Green Tea because it uses green tea instead of black so you get more antioxidants. We found that if you make the tea just like regular tea and add one or two of the little coffeemate creamers it tastes kind of like a latte.

-Canteloupe. They were on sale, 4 for $5 and I bought 4 of them. I am currently consuming them at a rate of 1/day. I have to cut down so I don't deplete my stockpile before the week's over and I miss out on a snack one day.

-Smucker's natural peanut butter with honey. oh. my. goodness.

-I'm also a big fan of, but not obsessively addicted to, the Jolly Time Caramel Apple popcorn. My dad about vomited when I offered him some ("this tastes like butt," was his exact comment) but I think it's good, and is a healthy snack.

-Also a big fan of protein powder/glutamine/fiber infused fruit smoothies lately. I knew that blender my sister got me for Christmas would come in handy for something other than margaritas! It's a good way to get some extra protein in since I've often been eating piles of vegetables for dinner instead of meat.

Alright, off to fill up the water bottle...

3 comments:

MplsJu said...

I also love chai but not the price of getting it at starbuck's or expresso royale...I used the teabags and would mix in some vanilla creamer (just like you) and this worked well enough (although I still find the coffeehouse chais to be better - thicker, creamier, etc).

mouse said...

I watched them make my Chai the last time I was at Caribou and I realized that they just use Chai tea concentrate (it comes in a box) and mix in some soymilk (I usually get mine iced). That's it! I was paying $3.50-$4 for them to make something I could do myself? I found a new brand of Chai concentrate at Meijer so I'll let you know if it's any good. it's something like $3 for a whole box of it and it says it makes 8 servings (once you mix it with milk, of course). much cheaper than Caribou.

But then again, the teabags and creamer at work (supplied by theboss) are even cheaper!

mo said...

I always buy a tin of the General Foods International brand chai latte and mix it with milk. So good!! I decided I really need to cut down on buying coffee. Spending $20 a week on it is not good. Last week I bought coffee at least 4 times and this week I haven't had it once. It just goes to prove that I don't really NEED it to function, right?

 
Site Meter