Saturday, February 04, 2006

wisdom from a 3 year old

things are about the same right now, but I thought I'd pass on this tale because it cracked me up last night.

my sister was heading over to the hospital w/ the rugrat and asked if I could stick around and watch him while she went in to see my mom. I said sure, as long as she wasn't going to be long. she assured me she'd be there in an hour and then turned off her phone so I couldn't get ahold of her. 3 hours later she finally shows up, and I am, understandably, irritated. rugrat is not in a good mood either (since it's like 8:45 by this time), so I can tell this is going to be great.

we're sitting in the waiting room, him pouting, and me reading a magazine. I decide it will be a great idea to buy him a sugary, caffeine loaded soft drink and then send him home with my sister. This plan is evil, and I like it. he, of course, is game, so I purchase a Pepsi (I considered going for the Mt. Dew, but that would just be wrong) and hand it off to him. So he is instantly in a better mood and I am snickering at my evilness. I teach rugrat how to burp, and then try to record him with my phone, but he's having none of it. He wants to record something else. here's the conversation:

mouse: "what do you want me to record you saying?"
rugrat: "I don know"
m: "how about you say [mouse] is the best aunt EVER!"
r: [giggling] "Nooooo!"
m: [w/ mock look of hurt] "why not?"
r: "because your aren't."
m: "I'm not!? why not?"
r: "well, sometimes you are, and sometimes you aren't."
m: "when am I not the greatest aunt ever?"
r: "I don't know. I'll have to think about that one."

good. grief. now you know why I refer to him as the rugrat.

6 comments:

MplsJu said...

Did he really say he has to think about that one? Because that's pretty astute for a little kid!

Not that he should have to think about whether you're the best aunt or not, naturally.

E-Speed said...

how cute. I hope your sis had to put up with him bouncing off the walls all night ;)

Kids are a riot!

mouse said...

he really did, jules. I know, bizarre, right? I just sat there for about 3 minutes with my mouth open.

I left before my sister came out, (my dad was watching him at this time) but all he was yelling was, "I have to POOP! come wipe my butt!"

I was like, hell no.

Anonymous said...

You refused to wipe his butt? No wonder he doesn't think you're the greatest aunt! What kind of cruel woman are you?

He sounds like a peach. Now I'm kind of glad I'm an only child with no nieces or nephews in my future.

Rae said...

Ha!! I REFUSE to wipe booties!! The only poop I will clean is mine, Brent's & Pippin's. And even those two are borderline!

onepinkfuzzy said...

Evil Auntie! Okay, not like I haven't done similar with my nieces/nephews...and in true hypocritical action, got pissed off at my in-laws/sister/etc. when they do similar to Ash...

 
Site Meter