this past year... it's been rough. I used to qualify things in my life with certain titles. Like, for a long time I thought the "worst day of my life" was the day when my then-boyfriend left for medical school. and then I thought it was the day that he and I split up. this past year, I watched my mother open her eyes and look at me for the last time, and a few days later I sat beside her and held her hand as she took her last breath. those days, in that hospital, literally haunt me. but they also gave me some perspective on life.
last year on New Years Eve I was ready to get rid of 2005. it was the worst year ever, I thought. heh. today, I am tempted to say the same thing. that 2006 was definitely my worst year ever. but saying that really doesn't give justice to the awesome things I did experience this past year. In the midst of my mother's death, I was astounded by the amazing friends that I have, and the width and depth of their support for me. I got to visit the east coast twice, and have come to the conclusion that if there is any reason why my ex and I were together so long, it is so that I would have the chance to become better friends with this woman:
Academically and professionally, it was a great year, although i'm convinced that this is because of the grace of my wonderful professors and the benevolence of my boss and coworkers. I received the best grades i've ever received this year, I presented at my first professional conference, I was published, and I gave several presentations across campus dealing with my work. oh, and I finished grad school. I also got a 7 minute PR in the half, ran two marathons this fall, and discovered trail running. and that little thing called "dances with dirt"? perhaps the best race ever. I got to meet some other awesome bloggers. and now, may of them have made the transition to "real life" friends. I got to run my first trail marathon with one of these friends. I got to meet a woman who exceeds superawesomeness, and got to cheer on a bunch of marathoners in Chicago with her. I got to meet oodles of bloggers at the after party, and I can't even go into detail describing how awesome they all are. I got to run the first half of Detroit with MoMo and Sunshine.
I got to see the crazychicas an exceptional number of times. I got to watch football with them on numerous occasions, and even got to tailgate with most of them in Mpls, where I got to meet the fabulous Walchka and his roommate Shadoweyes for the first time. They have since both earned my wrath by picking up "girlfriends," but whatever. :) I traveled to Columbus to watch a great UM vs. OSU game (even though we lost) with the crazychicas, and those bitches took terribly unflattering video of me after I had consumed a bit too much tequila for the amount of food I had eaten that day. :) [you girls just wait...]
I made plans to go meet one of the best blogging couples ever. I stopped hating my ex, and am friends with him again (although I still ask him if he hangs out with slutty nurses often). I learned a little bit about how to manage my family, and to do things for myself, with the help of my grief counselor. I tell my dad often how much I love him, because you never know what day God will decide to take him too.
and, lest my mother be looking down on me proudly for all these accomplishments. I just managed to dump half a mug of coffee down my shirt as I typed this. because I am still as clumsy as ever. I'm sure she is smiling, laughing slightly, shaking her head, and getting ready to say, "Party manner school, Sarah. i'm going to send you to party manner school."
here's to an even better 2007. happy new year.

18 comments:
happy new year mouse!
Sounds like the plus even out with the minuses. Happy New Year!
**hugs**
Mouse IS super awesome.
THAT is a great post/reflection/outlook. You've accomplished a lot in 2006. I'm starting to feel like a slacker. I'm sure 2007 is going to be an awesome year for you. Happy New Year!!
What a great year. Thanks for the inspiration.
Happy New Year!! I know 2007 is going to be a great one!!
What a sweet post my friend! And I am a firm believer in the motto that all things happen for a reason! :-)
Firefly and I just got back from the ESPN Zone in Chicago where we watched the third and part of the fourth quarter of the UM-USC game. Needless to say, our thoughts were with you.
happy new year, mouse.
This WILL be your year, although it sounds like you took 06 in perfect stride.
Two words for you, Mouse - USC SUCKS!
OK, you made me tear up a little. :)
Happy New Year! As always, you are a ROCK STAR.
ps--My Matt feels your Rose Bowl pain tonight. USC is stooopid.
Cheers to all your accomplishments in 2006 and many more in 2007...Keep moving forward!
Happy running in 2007
Wonderful post. Happy New Year Mouse. I truly beleive that it is times like these that make a person stronger and better!
Happy 2007
Happy New Year! I think as you look beack this will be one of those years that helped define the woman you will become. And that woman is awesome. I am so gald we met for real now and we aren't just high school cross memories!
Happy New Year to you! What a great perspective you have. Congratulations on all your accomplishments and here's to many more in '07!!
dude...i suck i've read this post several times and though i responded.
2007 is going to rock your socks. just you wait and see. i hear i'm gunna be in your wedding or something. how crazy is that?
Post a Comment