Saturday, December 23, 2006

what to say, what to say...

life post finals has been pretty damn good. Monday I enjoyed some extreme nappage followed by a nice 4 mile jaunt outside. I decided that instead of following the usual sidewalks that I'd wander through some neighborhoods to enjoy the holiday lights. good grief. some people take their lights a little bit too seriously. The run was followed by a bit of MNF (boooo Colts!) some beer, and a face mask. odd combo perhaps, but it's my idea of relaxing, I guess. Tuesday I cross trained a bit and read for leisure (!), and Wednesday I ran and lifted and read some more (!). Thursday my dad came up and we knocked out most of our holiday shopping in one fell swoop. Then we went out for Mexican and margaritas. :)

Last night my sister, the rugrat, and I went down to my dads to do some cookie baking. Jayhawk sent me the instructions for oreo balls and i'm pretty sure the things are going to be gone before I even get the chance to properly store them in a container, they're that good. We also attempted a double batch of regular chocolate chip cookies, but that didn't go so well [let's just say my sister isn't exactly "inclined" when it comes to baking. but i'll leave it at that so as not to embarass her :) ] we did get a successful batch of seven layer bars completed. The pecan balls? not so successful. but that was my fault. mostly because I don't really like pecan balls, and was just making them for my dad and brother. the suckers are tricky because if you don't bake them long enough they crumble, but they don't turn brownish until they're already burned, so it's hard to know when to take them out. I asked my dad to try one and tell me if they were salvagable and since he was happily chowing down on one I asked, "are they good?" he shook his head and mumbled, "no." with powdered sugar going everywhere. then he TOOK ANOTHER BIG BITE and said, "they're burnt." HA! obviously wasn't stopping him. I'm going to try another batch today when my brother is home to help out.

but right now I have to take off, because i'm going wedding dress shopping with KTG! yay! If I don't get the chance to blog again (which would be a pity, the holidays always bring way fun stories) have a great holiday everyone!

7 comments:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Happy Holidays to you too, Mouse!

Stay tuned...

MplsJu said...

If you think your neighbors take putting lights up a little too seriously, check out this from my neck of the woods:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yZUCdr8nWcI

(The music is broadcast on a radio frequency normally unused by the homeowners, so if you drive by, you can tune in to their "house's" station)

MNFirefly said...

Juls, I saw that display on the news this week....so wild...but awesome!

Mouse, the cookies sounds SO awesome and yummy.

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Happy Holidays, Mouse!

I enjoyed your latest post as usual.  But your blog entries need more pictures!

It would have been nice to include a shot of you drinking beer and booing the Colts while wearing your face mask.

Anonymous said...

happy holidays!!!

Anonymous said...

dear god i want some of those oreo things. happy holidays mouse!

Josh Dysart said...

Now I'm hungry for delicious baked goods. Merry Christmas!

 
Site Meter