coworker and I stumbled around town this afternoon, trying to decide on a suitable place to grab lunch after I dropped off some books that I wanted to donate to the library. We ended up settling on Amer's, a deli local to Ann Arbor. As we were ordering our sandwiches, I realized something bizarre. Amer's was the first downtown Ann Arbor restaurant at which I had ever eaten. In fact, it was early June, 9 years ago. I had just finished my freshman orientation at U of M and my mother had come up to pick me up. We had gone over to the School of Dentistry so that I could meet a man who was good friends with my high school physics teacher and was looking for student workers to do computer programming and to work on the websites. After "interviewing" and confirming my appointment as a part-time worker, my mother and I walked around town, trying to find a place to eat. we settled on Amer's.
9 years I have worked here, in some capacity or another. the work that has been required of me has changed dramatically - it's hard to imagine doing what I did back then for 8 hours a day - but overall, it's really been a great place to work and to grow. [and let's face it, free toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouth wash, and dental floss hasn't been too bad either :)]
coworker noted that I was "practically a baby" the first time I stepped in that deli, into that School. he was right. I'll miss so many of the people here. and i'm not going to lie; if my dentist was half as hot as these students i'd be making appointments more frequently than twice a year. but for now, greener pastures await.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Moving usually inspires mixed feelings: You'll have fun living in Chicago, but it is good to think back on what it is you're leaving. I've never been to Ann Arbor, but I hear it's very cool, so I'm sure you'll miss it.
Go Blue!!!
Wow! What a great reflection!
Life is a circle! Great post!
Post a Comment