Tuesday, August 19, 2008

saving money for my cocaine.

so this morning I'm on the bus on my way to work, right? and a crazy lady tries to get on the bus and is bartering with the bus driver because she doesn't have enough for bus fare. the bus driver won't let her on the bus without paying, because that's pretty much his job. so she gets really mad and stomps off the bus, giving him dirty looks and kicking at something on the ground, all the while scowling in the direction of the bus. Her shoe flies off as she is kicking at some imaginary thing, and she gets even more irritated about it... it's pretty much an amusing scenario.

meanwhile, the crazy man she was with DOES have enough money to get on the bus, and proceeds to tell the bus driver in a very loud voice that, "if it were a black person, you'd let her on the bus." (the driver was black, the woman was white... but whatever. either way he wouldn't have let her on the bus. money is green, and that's the only color that matters here.)

so the guy is wandering around the bus, asking everyone if they have money so "that lady can get on the bus." we are all ignoring him, so he starts calling us all prejudiced. some sap on the street gives the woman some change, so she runs to the next stop and gets on the bus to meet up with her crazy man friend. he says something to her about how we are all prejudiced against her. Then he tells her that he'll forgive her for being a prostitute, but that's neither here nor there.

The dude on the bus is basically railing all of us who refused to give him money for the lady's fare. there were three young women who all refused him, and he had his sights set on yelling at us all until he got of the bus. He spent the majority of the time saying that

a) we refused to give the woman a dollar because we wanted to go use it to buy cocaine,

b) that we would have no problems giving money to black people who came around asking us for money, therefore we are prejudiced,

and c) that we all want to go to hell, but that we have to die to get there first.

You may be wondering why I didn't tell the crazy man to shut the fuck up, but point C illustrates that nicely. You never know when one of these wackjobs is going to have a gun or some other means of hurting you tucked away, so I generally try to ignore people who are seemingly unstable.

Needless to say, as amusing as it was at first, the last half of my commute wasn't all that enjoyable. I spent most of the time trying to ignore the man while he went around to each of us, tried to catch our eye, and yelled at us. so that was sweet.

So that's pretty awesome. I've been accused of being a lot of things in the last few weeks: a liar, a racist (against black AND white people), of favoritism, of being non-collaborative, a pot-stirrer... I'm sure the list goes on. it kind of gets a little bit stressful sorting through all of these accusations, and while this morning's new additions were something that I can toss aside and generally not think twice about besides giving it a nice, hearty laugh, the other accusations are not, could have serious repercussions, and are generally just difficult to have to deal with. It's less dealing with the names, and more about dealing with the name-callers, as they are usually annoying, mega pains in the ass who fall dreadfully short of their purpose in life.

thank god I have therapy to help me sort out who I REALLY am, is all I have to say.

4 comments:

E-Speed said...

wow, that is actually pretty scary. Glad you survived what sounds like the ride from hell. And glad you aren't letting name callers get to you. Blogs are great for venting about it though :) Hope you and Josh are well!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post should be in the tourism brochure for the city of Chicago. :) Kidding, of course, but what a ride!

L*I*S*A said...

That's some crazy shite.

I want to come visit and ride the trains and take the bus all day and report back on all of the shenanigans.

MNFirefly said...

Umm...wow! That was truly a trip to read. There are way too many crazy people on the bus especially in Lincoln Park.

 
Site Meter